Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shes starting to get used to it, I think she is realizing we are coming home and shes not trapped forever lol

and that's cause men aren't as difficult lol :)

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Or as my gf says, "men are easy to train." haha

Great looking pup!
Yeah ... I suppose these days ... I'm a lot quicker to realize what I say??? The girls ... are more difficult to train ... quibble over details ... I suppose??? But my neighbor's backyard only Boxer/Pit mix ... five freaking years, and she ... is a girl!!

My first female Boxer or Boxer/mix, I've worked with. I tried to walk her on a SLL ... and I got schooled!! Owners are tools but next door neighbors and I help them out a lot. Bre is a seriously overweight sweetheart and on our/her first walk off her property ... with a SLL ... I got schooled ... hard!!!

My 4 minute time to walk ...yeah ... did not happen!! I'll update my SLL thread. It was an interesting experience. :)

I do luv the girls but yeah ... very, very different then the boys. :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yeah ... I suppose these days ... I'm a lot quicker to realize what I say??? The girls ... are more difficult to train ... quibble over details ... I suppose??? But my neighbor's backyard only Boxer/Pit mix ... five freaking years, and she ... is a girl!!

My first female Boxer or Boxer/mix, I've worked with. I tried to walk her on a SLL ... and I got schooled!! Owners are tools but next door neighbors and I help them out a lot. Bre is a seriously overweight sweetheart and on our/her first walk off her property ... with a SLL ... I got schooled ... hard!!!

My 4 minute time to walk ...yeah ... did not happen!! I'll update my SLL thread. It was an interesting experience. :)

I do luv the girls but yeah ... very, very different then the boys. :)
Are they really that different? Have only had male dogs so I haven't had the experience of raising a female pup.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Are they really that different? Have only had male dogs so I haven't had the experience of raising a female pup.
LOL ... many,many years I read that online about Boxers!

And at the time when I got Struddell .. I wanted a male ... in fact I wanted the male dog standing on top of the pile of his brothers and sisters baking his head off! To me ... that was dog, but all the males were picked ... so I "settled" on the lone girl that climbed out of the pile, crawled into my lap and promptly fell asleep???
I still wanted to look but between Struddell and her mom ... who sat beside and did not move ... I was trapped??? So I said whatever ... I needed a "Boxer" now (another long sad story) so whatever ... a girl it is!

Ah yes ... no regrets ... I fell in luv with the girls but no most definitely not the same! In a nutshell ... the boys are most interested in doing whatever what makes you happy ... the girls are more interested in doing whatever it is that makes them happy!!

I still remember when I finally made the breakthrough with Struddell, I'd repeated the same command over and over and over again and then one day ... I could see the wheels spin in her eyes and it was like a "Oh he means me" moment!! :)

From that point on everything else was a piece of cake. I have worked with male Boxers in rescue and all have been no issue for me. From pulling Deer Chasing Dogs with to my surprise ... Deers on the ground?? To pulling people fearful Boxers ... all males and all no big deal!

But ... I finally got to work with a female "Boxer/Pit" mix ... yeah ... that ... did not go well at all!!

Back yard only dog ... my neighbor's after 5 years ... they asked for help! To much input from them! They dog is seriously cowed! They scream and shout at each other all the freaking time and the dogs default behaviour is to down and don't move!!!

Well ... if you try and take a dog that for a walk and the first time in five years ... she is allowed to go out the front door and she lunges forward ... what do you do??? I did what I always do a slight tug sideways with a SLL?? And what did that owner trained cowed dog do in response ... she went down and would not move???

It took me 30 minutes to get her a house and a half away from her home!! She'ed only step forward if I bent down. I go over there often to help the owner out so I know the dog. And she would always do the "submissive down" crap! It got on my nerves and I'd tell her to get up.

I did not like that behaviour but I did not think it was that big a deal?? But you know ... apparently it is???

Freaking owners ... too much input from them! I honestly can't help them ... too much damage done. Really it would be a 30 day board and train to undo what they've done! And two weeks of that would be getting rid of the automatic down thing!!!

So I found the limits of the SLL ... I expect dogs to fights and resist??? But to just go down??? Conversational leash work ... had no impact. I wasn't willing to just yank her into moving?? I have never had to do that?? Most likely ... a "Prong Collar" would be required??? That would make it uncomfortable for her to resist moving forward?? But the SLL and just holding pressure ... apparently she was like ... yep I can do this all day long!!

That ... was my first girl Boxer/Mix, I've ever worked with and it was a fail! Long way of saying yes the girls are different. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts