Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we took sumya to her first boxer meetup today. unfortunately it did not go so well. :(  we were so excited for her to finally be able to play with other boxers.there are not any in my neighborhood at all.there are mostly small dogs whose owners are scared to death of sumya, or older dogs who cannot handle the way sumya  plays. ( she can be a little wild  :) ). when we got to the meet we were quite dismayed to find that it was outdoors, it was freezing and drizzly today. and also the dog park was very dirty.while i consider myself to be quite friendly, i have to say that the other owners were very unfriendly. i introduced myself and no one really said anything.they did however manage to let me know that sumya looked "strange" and "very odd" .(all of the other boxers that were present were black mask fawn). i ignored the comments and let her off leash to play. there were some balls that the other owners brought and the dogs were all playing with them, so i thought it was o.k. that sumya played with them too. apparently not, she had one in her mouth and someone went up to her and took it out of her mouth then threw it to the other dogs.so i took out her wubba( we can't go anywhwre with out that thing!  :D ) the other dogs saw her playing with it and took it away and it was destroyed in 3 sec flat.no aplogies from the owners.needless to say i will not be attending next month. i got a general e- mail from meetups.com asking me to rate and cooment on my first meetup.should i tell them what i thought or just ignore it?sorry that was kind of long, i just wanted to get that off my chest, whew!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Tell them exactly what you thought that way they know how they can improve it for the next time...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yeah, let them know how you really feel.  And I don't think Sumya looks stange or odd at all.  That's just a "strange" and "odd" thing to say.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I'm sorry your meet up didn't go well. I'm amazed anyone would comment negatively about another boxer,  and besides.. Sumya is a beautiful boxer.  :D  Maybe there's another group you could try? I would definetely send an e-mail back saying you won't be returning and why.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I'm sorry that the meet up was such a disappointment! They sound like a bunch of snobs! I hope amogst their bad manners Sumya had a little fun?

I agree with the others, I would be honest when you rate how it went!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
wow thats just aweful i would definately let them know how you felt ..she is not odd or strange looking ! they sound like a group of snotty people ! as well as rude...

you are a better person than me lol i couldnt have held my tongue ..how snobby ...

id bet you can find many good dog/boxer owners out there that arent like that..

sad to say we have run into the nasty snotty boxer owners that have strong comments about the white boxers NOT being a boxer and blah blah blah...i usually answer with a quick..." how pathetic is your life that you feel the need to pick on a dog" get a grip !

SUmya is beautiful ! i hope you find more playmates..labs are great with boxers :)& dont mind the rough play..

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i will admit at first i wondered if sumya was all boxer. i got sumya just shy of 8 weeks and as she grew she started to change.her legs got really long and her muzzle got longer too. i had only seen a handful of boxers and they were all short, stocky, and had "smooshy" faces.( including my husbands boxer).( it  did not matter to me whether she was a mix or not, i just wanted to know if she was and if she was what she was mixed with  for health purposes.)then i became a member of this site and i found alot of useful info. i realize now that boxers come in all shapes and sizes. maybe the other people at the meetup don't know that,i am not sure.and thank you i agree that sumya is beautiful! :D

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
maybe you could make up something to put up at the vet? ask the vet if there are any othere boxers as patients? and if theyd be willing to pass along your info for playdates...

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol! funny you should say that... my neighbor is making a flier for me as this very moment. great minds think alike. :D

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
hehe just seemed the best place to meet good pet owners...and weed out the idiot snobs lol..the ones that you will want to meet will respond

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I am so sorry that your meetup turned bad. Sounds like a bunch of stuck up snobs..If you look at pics from my previous meetups you will see a lot of questionable boxers in my opinion, but to come out and say that? Please believe me that all meetups are not that way and I would definitely respond to the questionaire with the truth....I would definitely ask your vet and also perhaps your local pet store to see if you can find any other boxers to play....This really upsets me that you had such a bad experience..... :(

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i am putting up my "ad" tomorrow morning. i almost forgot about the community pet board they have, i have walked past it at least a dozen times! hopefully i will get some takers.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
samsonsmom\";p=\"52260 said:
I am so sorry that your meetup turned bad. Sounds like a bunch of stuck up snobs..If you look at pics from my previous meetups you will see a lot of questionable boxers in my opinion, but to come out and say that? Please believe me that all meetups are not that way and I would definitely respond to the questionaire with the truth....I would definitely ask your vet and also perhaps your local pet store to see if you can find any other boxers to play....This really upsets me that you had such a bad experience..... :(
yeah they were snobs for sure definetaly ignorant at the very least. i was just kinda sad that she wasn't welcomed. i had really high hopes. i even wore my boxer forums shirt! :D . i must not have gotten the "black mask, stocky, smooshy face boxers only" memo....

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I went to a meetup throught that organization as well. And they did seem to be a little stiff on the people side. Not all of them, yours indeed seemed to be a bit more cold (no puhn intended). I would tell them exactly what your thoughts are, of course be tactful about it so they do not think you are some disgruntled person just talking smack. I wouldn't stop going either, why should Sunya suffer for ignorant people? Fine, they don't let her play with their balls and the wubba was deystroyed. But go  and let Sumya have a good time. She doesn't care about those dumb people, Just make them feel retarded by smiling and saying Merry Christmas or something. You would be surprised at people's reactions and the faces you get when their attitudes are sour and you send them a kind greeting.

Just my thoughts at least.

If you stop going then they win, your "funny looking" boxer (which I think is adorable) isno longer there and they win. And you get nothing out of it. So I say hang in there.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you know what bri? you are so right. why should sumya suffer? i did not really see it that way before. i was so taken aback by the lack of friendliness i lost sight of why the heck i was there in the first place.she just wants to play, she does'nt care with who. maybe i will try again next month. i am still going to give my ad at the vet a shot. even if it ends up we have 2 playdates.. even better!  thanks!  :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
that is horrible, I cant believe that they would have a meet up and people would bring their Boxers to play and you got a response like you did.  I would def tell them how you were treated, and you are a better person than me too, I think I would of let my tonge fly LOL.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I am so sorry this happened...how rude can people be..my lord! I think they were just jealous over having cookie cutter dogs..all with black mask(not putting black masks down..i have one of my own ;) )..and your boxer was the gorgeous one that stood out :) jealousy i tell ya! i would tell the mod of your meetup your thoughts on it. I wouldnt put up with it...and other shouldnt have to either!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Fer crying out loud, someone needs to tell them that it's a MEET-UP they're running, not a conformation show.

There's plenty of people on here who have "questionable" boxers (to steal a phrase from Willow!) IMHO, but do we go around pointing it out to them??? No.

I would definitely fill in the questionnaire they sent you truthfully.  Otherwise, they may never find out what that meet-up is like.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Wow!! This is just so unbelievable to me!   8O  I thought all boxer owners were cool! It sounds to me that they have their own little "group" and really don't want any more members! I would definitely let them kow how your experience was.
I'm with Bri on this one too. I would keep going and be really nice to these people. Make them feel like a piece of dirt.  :p Maybe you should bring the sticky topic on boxer colors the next time you go. Sumya is beautiful, go and have fun at these meet ups.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts