Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are leaving friday morning to go to Michigan to see my family..and i am soooo nervous. this will be the first time sumya has been away from home and the longest car trip we have ever taken with her it is 6 hour 300 mile drive up there.i do  not know how she will handle the car trip and being in a new place..i had to practically beg my aunt and uncle to let her come, i am afraid if she does not do well they wont let me bring her back.. any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
She will be fine!!!  Hanna slept the entire way to ABC.   We brought her blanket and stuff and made her have a comfortable spot.   Potty breaks and some treats - she was perfect.  Good Luck on your road trip!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I think she will do fine!  Whenever I bring Tyson to someplace new he adjusts really quickly.  Now on the car ride, he walks back and forth in the back seat, but he enjoys it.  After awhile he will just lay down.  I think Sumya will do fine. Just bring a blanket, toys and treats!

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
We had the same thing at Chritmas, apart from the long car ride. :)

I asked my parents to let the dogs come, it was a case of they come or we have to stay home for xmas, i mean they are my babies and i wanted to be with them aswell as the family on that day, but would have stayed with the furbabies. :roll:

So we went and i was nervous that Zulu would go around the house like a whirlwind and we would either end up leaving and be spending every xmas at home alone caus they werent allowed to go back. :(  Dont get me wrong they are always going to nannys house but when its xmas, the kids are there, all the pressies being opened and a big family, it kinda gets a bit more stress adding 3 looney dogs to the list! 8O

But i gotta say, we decided that we would not fuss over them and let them be, well. . . . .we got there and Zulu was as good as gold, he had his first greeting with everyone, burned around the yard, came in laid down went to sleep, woke up, had his xmas dinner that nanny made him, turkey and all the trimmings. . . .lol. . .. and then sat nicely by the fire, i was like WHERES MY DOG!! Needless to say we are allowed back forever :D  :D .

I would say just let her find her own feet when you get there, let her smell and get to know the place and then she will relax, and you'll be there so she'll see that its ok! :wink:

Do your family have a dog for her to play with?

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no they do not.. they have always been cat people.. hence why i am so nervous...

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Well lets just hope the cats can run quicker then her :lol:

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL!!!! :lol:  sumya is terrified of cats so it will def. be interesting!!

G

·
0 Posts
thor and vetty have been on a 12 hour road trip and 12 hr turn around a few days later.  they love going for a ride.  if they're comfy they'll rest, watch the cars...  if you stop for fast food, plan on sharing ;)

the worse they did was bark at the toll guys  :rofl:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I think Sumya will do fine. As long as boxers have their humans around them I think they can adjust to anything. Now the cats....well that will be interesting! Make sure you take some pics of that!  :lol:
Have a safe trip and plenty of fun in Michigan!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Never been on a long trip with Mav but i think she will do ok. the cats will scratch her if she bothers with them and then she will learn to leave them be..Good luck on your long trip and i hope everything goes well...Grammie..the toll guy should have been barked at..good job thor and vetty..obviously wonderful judges of character.

·
Registered
211 Posts
sumyasmom, I am so glad you posted this...because I was about to post the same thing.  We are going on a 450 mile road trip to Tennessee this weekend with Piper...and I was gonna ask everyone for any travel tips!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I am sure she will do fine, just try not to be too nervous she will pick up on that.  The longest trip with Kiah was close to three hours and she did just fine.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My boyfriend took Harleigh from Michigan to Kansas City, Missouri last week. Ended up being about a 14 hour car trip and he said she did wonderful. She had her seatbelt harness on, slept most of the way and he bought her some Nylabones that she couldn't get enough of. I think you will be surprised at how well Sumya will do. Harleigh exceeded our expectations. I wish you luck!

Where abouts in Michigan are you going? I lived near Ann Arbor. Just moved to Missouri 4 days ago.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
When we took Rocky to Arkansas with us he was fine.  It's a 3 hr trip from here.  The only problem I had was getting him to go poo being on the leash.  We had to find a park to let him run off leash to go do his business.  I had his blanket and treats though.  He was such a good boy!  Hope all goes well and have a good trip!

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My_Harleigh\";p=\"126554 said:
My boyfriend took Harleigh from Michigan to Kansas City, Missouri last week. Ended up being about a 14 hour car trip and he said she did wonderful. She had her seatbelt harness on, slept most of the way and he bought her some Nylabones that she couldn't get enough of. I think you will be surprised at how well Sumya will do. Harleigh exceeded our expectations. I wish you luck!

Where abouts in Michigan are you going? I lived near Ann Arbor. Just moved to Missouri 4 days ago.
ginger, we are going to Leland..it is past traverse city.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm sure Sumya will do great!  We've taken Koa on a few road trips, longest being 6 hours.  With a few potty breaks and stretch breaks... no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
537 Posts
sumyasmom\";p=\"126564 said:
[quote="My_Harleigh\";p=\"126554":291vv3fl]My boyfriend took Harleigh from Michigan to Kansas City, Missouri last week. Ended up being about a 14 hour car trip and he said she did wonderful. She had her seatbelt harness on, slept most of the way and he bought her some Nylabones that she couldn't get enough of. I think you will be surprised at how well Sumya will do. Harleigh exceeded our expectations. I wish you luck!

ginger, we are going to Leland..it is past traverse city.[/quote:291vv3fl]

Oh wow! Basically gotta travel the whole length of the state. I have never been to or around Traverse City but have heard it is so beautiful up there.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it really is beautiful. they live right in between lake michigan and lake leelanau..you walk out of there house right across the street is a golf course, to your right down the road is lake leelanau to left down the road is lake michigan. i love it up there!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Rebecca, I think she will do fine..Like was already said, take a couple breaks, let her have a chance to stretch her legs and she should do fine. I assume she doesn't have any issues with being in a car? Samson has been a couple long trips, once to New Orleans in June and went to Destin as well..He loves it, travels great, heck he doesn't care, just take him somewhere :) As far as the cat issue, well, with her being in a strange enviroment, I would just keep her close and on lead at first...

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks everyone.. sumya will be good ( i hope) we leave tomorrow morning really early and wont be back until Tuesday evening... no boxer forums for like 5 days!!!! what am i going to do!!! lol!!! 8O

1 - 20 of 23 Posts