Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took Fredo to the dog park for the first time yesterday..needless to say he could not get out of bed this morning...lol My question is, some of the dogs were being very rough on him, biting his skin and pinning him down and stuff...I was not sure if I should step in or not b/c the other dog moms and dads were doing nothing. Also I did not want to correct anyone else's dog, but some of them had their lips back, showing teeth, snapping the owners did nothing.  He seemed to get the hang of it later on but is this kind of play ok? I checked him and no one broke the skin, I was just worried they were picking on my baby. He's still only 5 1/2 months and was the smallest one there even at 43 lbs.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Personally, I don't care for that kind of play and I would have been all over the owners. IMO if the other dogs are showing teeth and snapping, they have no buisness being at a dog park. That is one of the reasons I don't like dog parks. Not necessarily bad dogs, just bad owners that think they don't need to supervise and correct their dogs. Very frustrating!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I have to agree with Lisa, yes when dogs play, especially Boxers it does get vocal, but to see teeth? Oh no, at my meetups that is not tolerated at all...If you look at some of my pics, you see a ton of people everywhere and each of us will jump in IF something happens, if the dogs owners are not keeping an eye on their dogs, I wouldn't let mine play there...Just my opinion and probably why I don't do dog parks either, lol, we don't have any!!! I like the meetups better, you tend to get to know the owners & Boxers and everyone keeps an eye out...

·
Registered
32 Posts
tootsie\";p=\"45444 said:
Personally, I don't care for that kind of play and I would have been all over the owners. IMO if the other dogs are showing teeth and snapping, they have no buisness being at a dog park. That is one of the reasons I don't like dog parks. Not necessarily bad dogs, just bad owners that think they don't need to supervise and correct their dogs. Very frustrating!
I totally agree with you 100%! People need to leave aggressive dogs home. I will say from experience, I remember taking my last puppy to the dog park and can always pin point a first timer. My first time I was so scared and defensive about my dog. Once I understood the difference of dog behavior I could make those decisions quicker and either leave the park or let it go.

For example we took our Boston to a meetup last month and you could see the first timer in panic mode trying guard every single dog that came within a foot of her dog. She even acused our dog of being aggressive even though she was just playing, she was  like (look at the hair in it's neck!) My dog has a harness that make her neck hair stick up funny sometimes! LOL

I always say that in the begining we are all defensive, but error on the side of caution. Other owners are the ones paying for you dog's vet bills and so don't feel bad if you feel that you need to just leave.

By the way, I always notice that small dogs are the snappers and biters most of the time and labs always tend to be the lumber oaf's who knock down puppies! Just a joke by the way, but there is a bit of truth to that...heheh

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the owner who's dog was snapping was just like..oh she does that when she plays..i'm like woah fredo stay away from that freak show...lol... he did too

·
Registered
32 Posts
FREDOSMOM\";p=\"45459 said:
Well the owner who's dog was snapping was just like..oh she does that when she plays..i'm like woah fredo stay away from that freak show...lol... he did too
That sounds like a stupid dog owner, if you ask me. I know my dogs well and can tell if it gets serious right away. Their dog should not be allowed in a park!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i agree with what has been said above. the other owners should have done something b/c showing teeth and snapping is not a form of "play". If you take him back to the same park i would def stop anything like that-even if it means correcting someone else's dog.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts