Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our boxer mixed died 2 weeks ago and my husband went and got a boxer pup on saturday. he looks just like our deceased dog but has the boxer face that our other one didn't have. this is my first time having a flat faced dog. he's 3 months old and so far a very awesome laid back dog. :)

is it normal to have nasal discharge coming from the sides? i've gotten some nose butter cream that was recommended for the exterior dry nose. but i notice now im cleaning his nose a few times a day.

so, will his nose always look dry no matter how much nose butter i apply daily? and is it normal to have the nasal discharge or should i make a vet appointment. he has an appointment next month to get his next shots.

thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I use nose butter for my guy, he gets a very dry nose especially in the winter, and I have never had any discharge from his nose. I usually apply it from the top of the nose and work it down making sure not to get any inside his nasal cavaties.

I followed the directions and it seemed to work as advertised. 3x daily for about 3 days and its usually fine for awhile.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Dry nose, yes and we've used nose butter for it but he was just a vet for his annual shots and vet had a different name for it as we asked about it and an area on his leg where dew claw was. I can't remember theme he said but he ordered us a special cream he said its excess tissue growth and not really dry 9at leah in our case).
Running nose probably means a vet visit especially if it is thick or has color to it. If its clear and just runny I don't know. I'm always paranoid though with new puppies getting distemper or a virus of some sort. I'd probably go to the vet.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I saw your other post before this one. The dry nose is pretty common for our boys- we were told to use Vaseline and it works.
I'm curious if anyone knows if the nose butter- or something else works better for this...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I saw your other post before this one. The dry nose is pretty common for our boys- we were told to use Vaseline and it works.
I'm curious if anyone knows if the nose butter- or something else works better for this...
Good question. I have never used Vaseline. I was recommended the Blissful Dog Nose Butter by another boxer owner. I like it because its all natural. Shea butter, Olive Oil, Almond Oil, Coconut Oil, Castor Oil, Cocoa seed butter, Beeswax and Avocado oil.

The problem that I have is trying to get him to stop licking it off his nose with his giant tongue before it really works its way in. lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
If they sniff a lot they can get like little bubbles on the sides of their nose. But be careful with the amount of nasal discharge. My dog had a lot of 'doggy snot' once around september and it ended up being an upper respiratory infection. It was hard to tell at first if it was just allergies or if he was really sick.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Good question. I have never used Vaseline. I was recommended the Blissful Dog Nose Butter by another boxer owner. I like it because its all natural. Shea butter, Olive Oil, Almond Oil, Coconut Oil, Castor Oil, Cocoa seed butter, Beeswax and Avocado oil.

The problem that I have is trying to get him to stop licking it off his nose with his giant tongue before it really works its way in. lol
Thanks for the feedback - and for the giggle about the licking!

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Our boxer mixed died 2 weeks ago and my husband went and got a boxer pup on saturday. he looks just like our deceased dog but has the boxer face that our other one didn't have. this is my first time having a flat faced dog. he's 3 months old and so far a very awesome laid back dog. :)

is it normal to have nasal discharge coming from the sides? i've gotten some nose butter cream that was recommended for the exterior dry nose. but i notice now im cleaning his nose a few times a day.

so, will his nose always look dry no matter how much nose butter i apply daily? and is it normal to have the nasal discharge or should i make a vet appointment. he has an appointment next month to get his next shots.

thanks in advance. :)
LOL "flat faced is a relative term??" A Bull Dog a Pug or a Pekingese??? Now those are "flat faced dogs!" Even the Euro Boxers with there shorter faces have a nose. But we know what you mean. I refered to my first Working Line GSD as a "Big Furry Dog with a pointy face??" I should have done ... a bit more research ... but it worked out well in the long run. :)

At anyrate and back on point ... with the dry nose ... I'd stick with the nose butter or I think it's virgin Coconut oil??? Your putting stuff on the dog's nose and short of a muzzle ... which would be insane! Anything you put on there nose is gonna be licked off???

Most likely the "nose Butter" is gonna be consumable and it will still be effective when consumed???

Vaseline is not really consumable , as it's petroleum based and might even be bad for sunburn???

I can't really speak to how much of what you see is normal???? But new Boxer owners seem to hyper focus on everything??? But give the nose butter a week and if you are still concerned then you can book a vet appointment.

And sorry about the loss of your other dog. Welcome aboard in anycase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our older boxer had issues with a runny nose and it determined he had allergies to the grain in his food. A switch to grain free did the trick for us, but you really do need to check that with your vet before making any change.

Our new puppy came to us on a puppy food with grain and once he is settled in I will begin to change him to grain free also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts