Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new, I just adopted a 2 year old female fawn boxer.  I have read just about everything I can get my hands on about boxers.  My female is named Maggie, she is 2 1/2.  She is wonderful with my kids, 5 and 1.  She is very loving and loves me very much.  She seems different than most boxers though, so I just wanted to hear what others thought.  She has been brought up around children, and bred twice.  She is very smart, listens to me when I tell her no, knows to get in her bed at night.  Is careful around the children, especially the little one.  But she hates toys, and no one taught her any tricks.  She wasn't neglected, just not given as much attention considering she lived with 4 other boxers and 2 children previously.  She still has most characteristics of the boxer breed.  Very Loving, very alert, very protective of new family around strangers, all the regular characteristics.  She just seems so mature, for her age, not playful.  I've only had her for a week, so I hope to change this by giving her more attention and training her daily.  Maybe no stimulation at the previous home has affected her.  I don't know.  She is fully house broken, not fixed, full bred with papers.  I just wondered if anyone new if the fact that she has had puppies affects the maturity, or lack of playfulness.  She is otherwise a wonderful dog so far, I couldn't ask for a better addition to our family.  Just curious what other boxer owners think.  I will be sure to teach her all kinds of tricks and new things, maybe she'll learn to play!  Although i must say it is nice that she doesn't touch any of the kids toys, but I'll get her her own toys and put them in their own basket.  Sorry its so long!  Pics soon!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Welcome to the forums...

My sisters boxer is Maggie, she will be three at the end of August!!!  She is unbelieveable with my 5 month old nephew.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Welcome!!! Cant wait to see the pics of your new addition. Tyson doesnt play with toys either, he plays with everything else tho. Glad your here!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
We adopted Savannah after she had one litter-she also was 2. We have had her alittle over a month now and she is just now starting to play some. she didnt pick a toy up until maybe 2 weeks ago. She also was around many boxers but is very shy though because she was never well socialized. Right now i would say let her alone until she feels "at home" it may take longer than a week. After time though she should start to play around. just keep in mind she wont be like a 12 wk puppy. :D congrats on the adoption-best thing to do is rescue. Welcome to the forum, lots of great people here and happy that we just added one more!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum...It could be that she just needs time to adjust..It is quite a transistion, even for an adult..I adopted Samson at the ripe old age of 6 and we think he had never been played with, had toys..Soo sad really...To this day, he doesn't have much interest in any toys, except if Angel is teasing him with something..The boxer part of him was just beat out of him...Angel has helped some, but I have just come to realize that I need to appreciate this wonderful, laid back friend that I have and enjoy him just the way he is....

Give her time, she very well could come around, but if she doesn't, let her be the way she is..You will love her more for that..

·
Registered
616 Posts
Welcome to the site.  The advise you have gotten here is good.  I am glad you decided to rescue this lovely lady and we can't wait to see pictures of her!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome!  :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts