Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm a first time boxer mama. We got Rex at 8 weeks (he'll be 16 weeks on Sat). He's a great dog, super playful, esp with my 6 year old son, and really curious. We've been working on potty training him but I feel like we're getting nowhere. I take him out usually 4x a day, but he almost always waits until we get back inside to releave himself. Any tips on how I can train him to go outside?

He sleeps 10pm until about 630am in his crate without any issues since the day we got him. The only time he always consistently goes outside is right after he wakes up and I take him out for the first time at 630. I've attached a picture of my handsome boy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Pretty much had the same issue with my guy. Took the longest of any dog I had to be trained to go outside. Don't get discouraged, praise the heck out of him when he goes outside, give a small treat outside as soon as he is done doing his business. If you catch him going inside, give him a "no", and quickly try to get him outside.

Funny he was on the same schedule too. 10pm to 6-6:30 am.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Hi everyone! I'm a first time boxer mama. We got Rex at 8 weeks (he'll be 16 weeks on Sat). He's a great dog, super playful, esp with my 6 year old son, and really curious. We've been working on potty training him but I feel like we're getting nowhere. I take him out usually 4x a day, but he almost always waits until we get back inside to releave himself. Any tips on how I can train him to go outside?

He sleeps 10pm until about 630am in his crate without any issues since the day we got him. The only time he always consistently goes outside is right after he wakes up and I take him out for the first time at 630. I've attached a picture of my handsome boy.
I would be taking him out more often to get him use tot he fact that potty is outside. Take him on a leash to the same area and tell him to potty use your due work either say go pp or go poo poo or whatever you like when he does praise him and get all excited . Then bring him in no play time out there until he learns outside is for potty. Don't give him freedom in the house unless he has gone. Eighteen put him back in his crate or keep him tethered to you, 15 min later take him out again. When and he will have a accident even once he has the idea say a firm NO if you catch him in the act, not later and take him right out to finish. My guy was really easy. Of course they won't be trustworthy for a long time but the will know I'd say within 3 weeks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome to the boxer world! You'll love it! I have four boxers. Usually for that young you have to let them out every 2 hours. Difficult, I know! A good rule of thumb I have heard before is that the number of hours they can hold it is equal to how old they are (so 2 months, 2 hours, 3 months - 3 hours, 4 months - 4 hours, etc.) They sell bells that hang from the door knob at pet stores or on amazon. I use those for my dogs. My first dog is so quiet that when he was a puppy he would run to the back door as if he knew where to go but I didn't hear him so he would pee in front of the door because he couldn't hold it. Every time we went out I would take his paw and have him ring the bell until he learned to ring it himself to tell me he had to go out. They still do this and all of mine are 1-2 years old. If it's still a problem as your dog gets older I would recommend bringing them to the vet for a urine sample just to make sure it isn't anything medical like UTI or diabetes causing the problem. Best of luck! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you [email protected]

I am having a similar issue with my boxer. We brought him home at 8 weeks and he has done AMAZING in his crate since day 1. He would go to bed with me at 1 pm and or the first week and a h:30alf that we had him, Rocco would cry to indicate he had to go potty at around 3. After that he has gone consistently from 10-6:30. We have been using the bells for over a month and he is in consistent with ringing them. He will go sit by the door but there have been times when I have found pee right by the front door which tells me that he was on his way there but I didn't hear or see him in time. He is having an average of about 1 accident per day. Is that still normal at his age?

He has NEVER pooped in the house or in his crate, these accidents are always pee.

Our breeder told us that in two weeks he would be ringing the bell to be let out,that has not been our luck.

When he was a much smaller I used to set me apple watch timer to go off every 20 mins and take him out, then increased in to 45 mins and then an hour then I kinda just stopped. Maybe I was giving him too much credit.

I try to stick to the rule of letting him out right when he wakes up, when he has just finished playing and within a half hour of eating and drinking.

I give him access to water all day (w/ the exception of two hours before bed) because I know this breed needs water w their smooshed in faces.

Anyhow, I want to make sure this is normal and want advice from other boxer owners. I want to make sure that I am being strict but not expect too much from him at the same time.

Lastly, he is SO SO SO attached to my husband and I but just LOVES people in general. How do you find the balance between keeping you eye on the pup at all times and encouraging independence at the same time?

I haven't had a puppy in over 20 years and that was a Jack Russel this is my first boxer.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I took my girl out at least every hour, honestly more like every half hour. I took her out on-leash and told her the same thing every time - "go pee". Then for the first week I gave her a treat right after every time she went. Then after that it was just tons of praise every time.
I took her out after playing hard, sleeping, eating, you name it. She only ever had 2 accidents in the house. But like I said, I took her out A LOT! We also didn't play when it was potty time, we were outside for a purpose.

·
Registered
13 Posts
They sell bells that hang from the door knob at pet stores or on amazon. I use those for my dogs. My first dog is so quiet that when he was a puppy he would run to the back door as if he knew where to go but I didn't hear him so he would pee in front of the door because he couldn't hold it. Every time we went out I would take his paw and have him ring the bell until he learned to ring it himself to tell me he had to go out. They still do this and all of mine are 1-2 years old.
We are about to try the bell. Ours is 4 months old now. She is quite smart but hasn't gotten to where she can consistently 'tell' us when she has to go other than at 4am when she rattles her crate. Although my husband did say for the first time ever, that this week she actually went to the back door and whined at him, so he knew she had to go. That was a first.

I read online that it can take a year to fully potty train and get where you can "trust" the dog to tell you so I am working on my patience in this area. :dance: She is so worth it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts