Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new here and I'm here to get some help from you, more experienced people.

I've got a boxer, first dog ever, I'm 25y old and I'm taking good care of him.

We sleep together, are all day in the same room, he has 2 times a day outside walks that last to 2, 2:30 hours, he eats 3 times a day + snacks and he has exercise in the house with the ball + lessons in giving his paw, giving a high 5, sitting, knowing his place and all that learning.
I'm still learning as well what else to incorporate, so any advises are more than welcomed.

Could I please as well get any help on these 3 questions:

1. I'm something of a bodybuilder and I got a high protein diet of course, but dogs have (as I heard) problems with high protein diets, it can damage their bones or something, is it too much to feed him 1 egg every day with his 2nd meal in the afternoon?

2. Can I incorporate whey protein supplements, something like ISO93 with his food? Maybe like half a scoop daily?

3. Should I keep him on dog food or change it up to "people" food? I'm from Montenegro and as much as I noticed there isn't a lot of the "high grade" food here to buy, mostly everyone is saying RoyalCannin is the best, but I did read on a few places that it isn't so good, so I'd start ordering the food online for him, together with some dog protein supplement/multi vitamin supplement and joint supplement, if ISO93 isn't ok for him.

4. Please advise if you know some good online store for dogs that is willing to ship to Montenegro. I usually buy on bodybuilding.com but they don't have dog stuff as much as I noticed.

5. Can I put Omega-3 which I use for myself in his meals? I as well give him calcium and some vitamins I got from the vet, together with something like a mentol bone snack for his breath.

Please let me know if there is anyone here willing to help a young "daddy". :)

Thank you all and I'll be posting some pics of this lil baby soon :)

Best wishes!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello KarmaDestiny,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I do, but I'm scared to feed him with a raw diet, I was thinking more to go the way of high quality dog food, dog vitamins, dog protein supplements (or my protein supplements), eggs, veggies and stuff like that...

I'd be grateful if there is anyone that could help with any of the questions I asked. :)

Please find below a few pictures of my baby. :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/q71/s720x720/1620784_10202372777894773_6773384268760975471_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/1978727_10202317843201440_7002606578594376521_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/1978674_10202274723043463_861718705_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1.0-9/1969110_10202274722243443_858928141_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/1175206_10202198630741203_122774288_n.jpg

Best wishes!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello chip18,

Thank you. :)

That's exactly why I don't want to feed raw, it is confusing and I don't want to make any mistakes with him. I find the dog food much safer to consume. :)

Well then I think I will stick to the 1 egg every other day (I don't give it raw, I give it boiled), but do you think I can give him at least the egg white every day and throw out the yolk?

Best wishes!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Do not feed him protein supplements, I'm not sure why you'd even want to. You'll put an enormous amount of stress on his kidneys since they're going to have to work hard to excrete the excess protein, and you will risk abnormal bone development. If you insist for some reason, feed him a supplement made for dogs, abslutely not one made for humans.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Found this link I had saved:
Welcome to the Raw Dog Ranch

And for commercial food:
Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

I give my guy raw eggs a couple times a week but then I found this:
The Incredible, Edible Egg: Nutritional or Deadly for Pets? | petMD

Food is "not" my area of expertise! :) Saying I feed my dog raw eggs..and he's not dead is, not much of a recommendation? :)

Dog Food Adviser is a good guide for commercial foods! The one think I do "know" and do is I stay away from any food or treats "made in China" and "Corn" should not be the first ingredient on any commercial food!

·
Super Moderator
7,011 Posts
It is very important to feed puppies a balanced diet. No extra vitamins, no extra protein, no powdered supplements.

The calcium to phosphorous ratio needs to be kept balanced. To much of one and to little of the other can have serious effects on structural development.

Maybe tell us what food or websites are available to you and we can point you into the right direction.

As for raw feeding, there is nothing confusing about it. It's very simple and the best way to feed your dog however you need to make sure that you have different protein sources available to you at all times.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Very cute pup :) do not give it protein supplements or whey supplement etc
Just high quality species appropriate dog food, whether it is human raw food or kibble etc

Please also consider 2manydogs recommendations as she said it perfectly. You can feed a quality kibble it all depends on what is available to you.

If you want to feed raw and are not interested in home preparing you can buy commercially prepared raw that has been through High Pressure Processing to ensure no bad bacteria. It's not scary that way. (Ex. Natures Variety raw instincts) Raw is best for them but not always easy to do for various reasons.

You can add Omega 3 Wild Atlantic Salmon Oil, this is excellent brain food. 1000mg a day, if in a capsule just cut and squirt it out. Make sure salmon oil is the only ingredient in it. This can go on top of any food you feed, kibble or raw.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
how do i post a pic of my baby?

I have NO idea why you would want to add supplements to your babys food!...A good quality food is great!..We have three boxers and they get food and livers with every meal and bubba is sixteen years old!

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I have NO idea why you would want to add supplements to your babys food!...A good quality food is great!..We have three boxers and they get food and livers with every meal and bubba is sixteen years old!
16!!!! Pictures please???

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
they make whey protein supplements for dogs.....some working dogs/sled dogs/etc...like to build muscle.....boxers have a delicate digestive track, and many have allergies. If you decide you want to try anything new, be careful, you don't want your baby to get diarrhea or other stomach upset. .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hej guys,

THANK YOU FOR THE AWESOME FEEDBACK.

Regarding the web site orders, I can order from wherever you point me at, I got a uncle in USA and he can ship me anything with DHL.
I'm really not concerned about the money, when it comes to my dog.

Regarding the protein, i wanted to give him a bit more, only because I'd like him to get some muscles, we already exercise quite often but as you said, I'll stay away from that, don't want to cause him any troubles.

Raw food, I have fresh raw food here in Montenegro on a lot of places, but still I'm kinda skeptic about feeding him raw. :(

At this moment I'm feeding him RoyalCannin, picture below:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/1231674_10202467060851788_8943558876331076360_n.jpg

Is this bad?
He likes it a lot, I tried some different food, that the vet told me to get, chicken flavored or something like that, but he still liked this more. :)

Does anyone know if its ok for me to give him at least the egg whites every day, and the yolk every other day?
Just for the few extra grams of protein the egg whites have.
I never gave him raw eggs, I know it can have a deadly effect on human, so I didn't think about giving it to him. :)

If there's anything you guys think or know I should get him, feed him, do for him, any advise would be more than welcomed and I'd be grateful for it.

Just want to make sure he has all he needs, and I don't know much about dogs, this is my first one, so I'm probably making mistakes already. :)

Best wishes!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Well Royal Canin isn't the best food. I don't know what's available to you there but a good resource for picking the best kibble is this website: Dry Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Advisor. Try to get a 4 or 5 star grain free food from this list.

Raw food is an excellent diet! It is all natural, no processing or preservatives. Nothing but healthy fresh food like they would have living in the wild. Think about it - what is better for us humans, processed pre-packaged food or fresh food? Why would it be any different for our pets?

I would not give him egg everyday or even every other day if you are feeding him kibble. Once or twice a week as a treat would be ok.

Get him some toys and chew toys (stay away from rawhide chews). Play with him and give him lots of love and attention. All he really wants is that :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Where I live, high quality dog food is expensive and supply can be erratic. This prompted me to switch to raw- prey model (all animal protein). It's really not complicated. I purchase meat once a week, and it's all cut into individual servings in individual plastic tubs. I store them in the freezer and transfer the next day's meal to the fridge to defrost. So basically I just grab a tub from the ref every meal and that's it. Laborious part is only during market day, and this gets easier as you go on.

How old is your boxer? Mine started packing on muscle at 4 mos., and she doesn't get as much exercise as yours. If your dog is still a pup, maybe it needs more time to mature physically.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Puppies shouldn't be exercised too vigorously as it is hard on their growing joints. The guideline is no physically strenuous exercise until at least 18 months of age. Normal walking, running and playing is fine.

Why are you in a hurry for your dog to "bulk up"? I think health comes before "looks".

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Royal Canin Junior medium dog is NOT a good food. Ingredients...

"Animal" parts including fat and proteins is not an ingredient you want in your food. You want to know exactly what animal and what parts is in the food. Fat should not be the second ingredient in the food, it should be past at least the 4 or 5 ingredient. Too high fat too close up on the ingredient list can also contribute to bloat.

Maize (corn) should not be in a dog food. Firstly, most is GMO. Second, this ingredient is a leading cause of allergies. Third, this is not something a dog would naturally eat. Maize parts (gluten etc) is also lots in this ingredient listing. Same goes for rice, flour etc.
Soya isn't a good ingredient for them either. Then there is additives in there that don't even look like food stuffs. A quality food should NOT contain things you don't understand.

As for gaining muscle your pup will, it will come with time, don't force it :) exercise and a good diet is all you need. No additives or supplements such as whey or protein.

Not only is the ingredient a concern but also where and how each ingredient is sourced.

If you don't like the idea of raw, or even HPP treated "safe" raw where there is no dangers or cross contamination (natures variety raw instinct is a great one) then a really good, natural kibble with only natural preservatives is Acana. Another, is First Mate. These two are Canadian companies with Canadian sourced ingredients, high protein and quality manufacturing. Check these out.

Also FYI the vet foods here in Canada are horrible too, unless your dog has an actual problem then there may be a special case where you need it but for the most part is not a good choice. Not sure what vets there carry. Here it's Hills and Science Diet.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the feedback once more.

Didn't have time to log on the internet, was bussy with him, work and training! :)

I'm not exercising him too much, I don't let him jump at all, only a lot of walking and a little of running with the ball, even sometimes late at night I fight with him on the bed, but he's already tired at that point so that doesn't last long, he just starts cuddling after a few minutes. :)

Do you maybe know if I can add him my Omega3 tablets, open 1 and spill it over his food for dinner?

I've heard its great for his coat, and I do give him 1 egg every 2nd or 3rd day.

Some fresh photos of today, was thinking about teeing his ears to go more near his head?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/10268543_10202479678247215_6638912024455257161_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/10252010_10202479662206814_2696712078833876523_n.jpg

Sorry for the bad English, I'm from Montenegro. :)

@Isle
Thanks for the detailed feedback, I was looking for that food after I saw you post, but they don't have that here, so I think I'll try with the raw soon, will just try to get as much information as I can.
Want to make sure I feed him healthy and to start it the right way.
Could you please confirm that when you say "raw", that doesn't mean I need to give it to him alive? I'm kinda scared to do that. :)
I'd rather boil it and things like that, is that ok?

Thank you! :)

Best wishes!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
You can give him some coconut oil for his coat. Make sure it is organic virgin coconut oil - the good kind. You can give him 1-2 teaspoons per day. They just love the coconut oil! :)

He's very cute and he looks healthy!

EDIT: I looked up best dog food in Europe and came up with this list: http://www.best-dog-food-review.com/68005/

Are any of these available in your area? After looking at the ingredients I would say the best choice would be "James Wellbeloved".

"Lily's Kitchen" looks like an excellent grain free choice as well.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts