Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

First Time Rescue, Long Time Boxer Lover

9K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  ClevelandAHernandez 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share my excitement about my first ever rescue!
Have always loved boxers and currently have a 6yr old male named Tyson who is a real sweet boy.

The rescue is also older, her name is Gracie and she is 7 yrs old. Not sure on her history or what her story is but she was dumped and I found her online at a pound a few hours away and knew I had to save her instantly. She is un-spayed and I imagine she has probably had a fair few litters of puppies (Makes me sick to think that her old owner has just dumped her on the side of the road and probably replaced her with a younger female - not sure on this exactly but it could be a possibilty as she hasn't been spayed).
Because I personally can't pick her up, she was collected for me from the pound by a really nice boarding kennel where she is staying as they pound couldn't keep her on for any longer.
She is being delivered to me in 4 days and I CAN'T WAIT! :clap:
The boarding kennel have emailed me a picture, its not very good because they said they can't get her to stay still (Typical boxer haha) and it shows how skinny she is!
I'll be taking her to the vet when I get her for a check up and to dicuss getting her spayed.

Any advice that you can pass on from your own rescuing experiences would be much appreciated!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
congrats and the best advise I can pass on is
do not expect her to "know" anything you are blessed if she knows sit frequent accidents at first happen till they get a pattern down with you and the "in's and "outs" have tons of patients she will most likely have strange fears things that you would never expect her to fear can and usually do cause fear and things you would expect her to be afraid of she can be fine with

#5 ·
I agree with cadkids, We just rescued our brindle boxer from a home that no longer wanted him (such a shame), he's been a blessing. The one word of advice, don't expect her to know you right away. And don't be upset if she is standoffish for a week or two. It's a new environment and I know with our boxer, he was confused, especially bringing him into a home with 2 other boxers and a female boston terrier already, he stayed to himself a lot. Wouldn't sleep next to the other dogs, and didn't really have any manners. But boxers are so fast to learn, it took my husband about 2 weeks to sit, lay down and come. It was amazing. The past owner also fed him crap food, so once he got onto our grain free and some raw, he bulked right up.
Also, we learned the hard way, the first day we got our rescue, we were so use to opening the door and our pups staying along with us and not running off, well not the case for Diesel, my husband opened the door to let Bolt out with him and Diesel, well Diesel took off. We let Bolt out to chase him because Bolt always comes back to us, we live in a neighborhood not close to a main road or highway thank goodness.
We ran after him for a good 10 minutes in the woods, on streets, he was fast. I remembered the past owner said he likes car rides, so I ran, got my car, went over by where my husband was still chasing him and stopped the car, opened the door and told him "lets go for a ride" and he jumped right in.
One more thing, we didn't like his previous name so we changed it to Diesel, It took him a few days but he caught right onto it. I was surprised because he was a little over 2 years old and figured he wouldn't pull to the new name but he did!
Congrats on your girl. All the best. This Forum is great for discussions and help!

#7 ·
congrats on your rescue!!!! like the above post please give her time to adjust to her new home as it may take a couple of weeks or a couple of months. Take baby steps like you would with a new pup as you just don't know what kind of life she had before. Lots of patience and love are in order. Keep us posted!

#13 ·
Hi all, quick update - Day 1 has gone surprisingly well! Currently Gracie is on Tyson's bed and Tyson is on Gracie's bed! She hasn't stopped moving all day so hopefully that means she will have a good sleep tonight!
Poor girl doesn't know how to play or what toys are even for! As suggested, she definitely doesn't know how to sit but have a feeling it won't take long.
Tyson seems to be accepting her, don't want to say its perfect coz it's only day 1 lol!
See attached pics of Gracie & Tyson :) Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae Mammal

Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae Mammal

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#15 ·
Nice gurl :)

In the pic she looks bigger than Tyson?

#17 ·
Must just be the optical illusion, Tyson is small for a boxer and he is WAY bigger than her!
Ive tried to get pictures of them side by side but she won't stay still! Must be ants in her pants haha!

Its day 4 today, Gracie had a visit to the vets on Monday to get her shots and a general health check. Feedback was good health wise, she just needs to gain a lotta weight. She is a tiny 18kgs :( (Sorry I'm not great with converting kgs-lbs). Only other issue was that she may have artritis forming or there is nerve damamge on her left rear leg. The vet picked her foot up and rested it back on itself and it took her a few seconds to recorrect the foot where as all the other feet were pretty much immeadiate.
Doesn't worry me too much as I still love her regardless, will just take everything a lot slower with her rather than full on with Tyson :inlove:

#18 ·
IShe is a tiny 18kgs :( (Sorry I'm not great with converting kgs-lbs).
39.6 lbs (2.2 lbs per 1kg. When we got bonnie she was 28lbs (12.7kg) and we got her up to 40 lb (18kg) she stood roughly 17 inches at the withers (43cm)
Only other issue was that she may have artritis forming or there is nerve damamge on her left rear leg.
we took in a cat with broken leg, severing the radial nerve. The dr sewed the radial but said to expect him to hold it and limp on 3 legs. We fed 600mg of fish oil daily and also 2 tsp of coconut oil daily. he's walking on it now. The vet calls it a miracle. Nerves can regenerate with proper building blocks.

#21 ·
Just a quick update, she has come a long way in just a week!
Going from absolutely HATING going into her crate for bed time, to walking in as soon as we say bed time and then sitting down nicely waiting for her treat :)
2 nights ago she even picked up a toy and started playing with it! When she first arrived she didn't know what toys were, so proud of our rescue baby <3
It has definitely helped having Tyson right there to be a role model and show her the ways of the house!

#27 ·
I also have a 1st time rescue. The Korean owner left him in the park tennis courts; we think maybe over night. I had seen him (now Rusty) once before late at night inside the tennis courts with his "owner" and I say that loosely. I love boxer's and their silliness, they are true to their good nature and even when they grow older as our Alex , (12 years and 1 month!) I love to catch a smile from her and even her snoring is precious! Congrats on your new family addition - Gracie!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.