Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we took Jax, (We finally named him) to the vet today for his first checkup. All is well, besides that they heard a heart murmur. She said it was slight, took him to the back, to have another vet listen in a more quiet room. She came back and said that he heard it too, on his right side. She was actually not too concerned over it, till I got upset and asked her if she would have that in writing, since I need my breeder to know this. She said she would have to say it is between a 1 and 2 because anything under a 1 would be about impossible for them to hear on a normal checkup. She also said he may outgrow it and they will look again in 3 weeks when we go in for shots. Sigh, I could throw up right now. I do not know what to do. I cannot get in touch with the breeder right now, maybe tomorrow.

I read, and read, and read about boxers. I take a long time, looking for a breeder. My first attempt ends within 4 days, when the pup gets stepped on by it's mother and has to be put down. I, unfortunately passed on a beautiful little pup, named Gordy, because he had a heart murmur.  I spend more time looking for another breeder, find one, but am on the bottom of the list. We finally get a pup, after searching for 7 months, the wife loves him, the pup is bonding with my 12 year old well, he is behaving good, and now this. I somewhat feel that I could have gotten one from the newspaper, and had better luck!  :cry:

Don't know what to do. Breeder said we could return him, when we purchased him. My wife would hate me if I do. If I do that, I rather ask to wait till he is 12 weeks and see if he outgrows it, but then it will be that much harder on the family.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i envy you for being patient enough to wait that long, however i'm sorry you've had multiple bad experiences.

I got mine from a paper ad, she's going to the vet tomorrow, hopefully everything checks out.

·
Registered
942 Posts
At one point Milo had a small heart murmur, we went back a couple months later and it was gone. Even when they heard it they said he could live a long healthy life with that heart murmur and it not affect a thing. Don't be so hard on yourself, I'm sure he'll be just fine. :

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
A mild heart murmer in a lot of cases they do grow out of, so I wouldn't be overly alarmed, but still cause for concern..I do remember that was the main reason you didn't take Gordy...All I can offer is to wait the few weeks and have Jax tested again, but definitely let the breeder know..Myself personally, I couldn't give up a pup after he had already wrapped me around his paw...Hoping everything works out for you, I can understand your frustration

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Sorry that you got bad news. But like Willow said I wouldn't take it too seriously right now as he is only young and it is mild. It is quite possible that he will grow out of it. Keep an eye on him and don't let him play too hard outside on warm days. Wait and see what happens on his next check up and go from there. Hope it all works out.
I would definatly contact the breeder soon and make them aware of it. Did you sign a contract with this breeder and/or get a health guarantee from them?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It is frustrating but...as said already it is very easy for pups t out grow a heart murmer and even if it has a mild one, it does not mean it will have any effect.  I would let the breeder know if you can reach them, but there is not alot they can do unless you are willing to accept another puppy....Keep in mind that you could do all the checklist in the world and go in with a puppy that has no heart murmer only for them to develop one at a later time in life and in then end you love them all the same..........

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. We signed a contract. And they are very nice people. Just no answer on the phone this evening. We will definitely be able to talk with them tomorrow or next. They do not live too far away, about an hour. They said from the start that they would refund the money after the vet visit, if it did not go well, so we shouldn't have a problem. But we really don't want that. Heck, my wife cried when we decided not to take Gordy! and all she saw was two pics of him.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On a side note, since we will most likely end up keeping him :) The vet will be having us start heart and flea meds after fecal test comes back. She suggested either Sentinel, or Interceptor, or lastly Heart guard. I am going to go read up on those. And then she said Frontline for the flea. Now, which one do you guys recommend or use, and which do you buy from online, instead of vets? The heart or flea, or both. I am 99% sure I read many people buy their frontline online.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I live in the south, so I find K9 Advantix is much better for me as it helps with mosquitos. Frontline Plus is also very good....I get mine online from Dr Fosters, found they had the lowest price, but if anyone knows of a better place, let me know...A lot of vets will price match too. Heartguard, if purchased online you have to have your vet write a precription for you to get it, Sentiniel & Interceptor as well I believe

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
we are on sentinal and i like it because it does heartworm, parasites and fleas all in one i believe. easy just to give one pill

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
samsonsmom\";p=\"127785 said:
I live in the south, so I find K9 Advantix is much better for me as it helps with mosquitos. Frontline Plus is also very good....I get mine online from Dr Fosters, found they had the lowest price, but if anyone knows of a better place, let me know...A lot of vets will price match too. Heartguard, if purchased online you have to have your vet write a precription for you to get it, Sentiniel & Interceptor as well I believe
Thanks. We do get mosquitoes pretty bad sometimes. It depends how wet. We tend to be able to walk and play outside more often in the evenings, so maybe I will have to look into the Advantix for the mosquito issue. Do you just have your vet tell you what dosage you need, then go order it? She said it will be based on his weight, which right now, is 12.7 lbs :)

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
we have used frontline plus for 2 yrs now and its not working anymore..so switching to k9 advantix this month...so id say start with something thats not going to build resistance..i know alot of others have complained of this also..
we use heartguard..

i wouldnt be so hard on yourself..that pup was meant for you all..look at how much you went through to get to THAT ONE..i know it sounds corney but ive seen alot of things that make me think that way about it..

many people i know have dogs with murmurs and they live long happy lives...alot outgrow them..my older son had one as a baby...he outgrew it too...i knowhow scarey it is..i remember the day the doc showed me my sons..thought id pass out..but a year later it was gone..

just hang on..i know its hard but i really think itll be ok

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Just stick it out, he is already part of your family now and as the others said, lets all cross paws that he goes back and gets the all clear. :)
If not, well he can still live a long life with you guys so its going to be ok. :)

Hope it all works out for you and the little guy caus he is such a cutie :)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
def .stick it out - I know many of pups who have had a murmur when under 12 weeks.  Its very common in pups - they get them esp with stress of a new surrounding and not being with their littermates.  IMO its hard to diagsnose the severity of it without an echo.  So most likely they heard it, and will test from visit to visit and oping it goes away.  However 1+2 grades are ok and acceptable in a breeding program.   I am sure and hoping its something he outgrows!

Dont beat yourself up - you did great - spent plenty of time researching, asking tons of questions and getting ready for Mr. Jax.   Which is about 80% then some people do:)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Pups really grow fast right now and if you look at the weights for the different doses, you can see what you may use one month very well might not be enuf the next. So I'm going to buy a single dose from the vet this time and by the next month I should be able to start in with the multi packs, then I can order online..I pay for the over 55 lbs $60 for a 6 month supply

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well Drayken, got kind of the same news today at Roxy's vet visit. She said Roxy has a very very slight murmur, but not to fret and that it should clear up as she grows. Other than that, i got her frontline and heartworm medications today!

As for her itching, they said she was just irritated with her collar and the bumps we felt were just scabs, which was good!

Taking her back in 2 weeks, they said she should be almost double the weight she is now, which is an adorable 16 lbs!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called the vet and chewed them out a little. Ok, Jax is 7 and 1/2 weeks old. She said he will need to do the heart and flea at 8 weeks. Well, I was too upset about the murmur, to think about anything else. I paid and left. I called today, asking why I was not sold the meds. They said he was not 8 weeks yet. Umm, 4 days shy of 8 weeks. She said she would be happy to make an appointment for me, so we can get the meds. YA, like I am going to pay another visit fee, JUST to be told the meds that I was already told! I asked if there was any reason why I was not given them yesterday, and she had no good answer. Long, story short, they said i would be ok to wait the 2 and half weeks when we come in for booster shots, to get the heart and flea. I also found out they need to do a heart worm test first, which I don't think they did yesterday.

Now, in the vet's defense, Jax was given worming meds by the breeder's vets at 6 weeks. So I don't know if that was counted and figured into the timing.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
They do a heartworm test prior to giving the meds. i don't think we get ours til 4 mos if I remember right

1 - 18 of 18 Posts