Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be taking our little pup to the vet tomorrow for his examination. Any tips what to ask the vet? His last visit with the breeder was 5-12-08 at 6 weeks. (born 3-31-08)

I have read some posts about people not wanting to get all the vaccines. Here is what he has had so far:

Distemper
Adenovirus 2
Parainfluenza
Parvovirus
Coronavirus

These are the ones not done yet:

Lyme
Leptospira
Bordetella
Canine Gairdiasis
Leukemia
Panleukopenia
Calicivirus
Rhinotracheitis
Pneumonitis
FIV
FIP
Rabies

Those are what are listed on the little health record booklet that we got from the breeder. Any of those that we should ask not to get, even if recommended by the vet?

Oh, by the way, he is so funny. He plays for awhile, then is about ready to fall over, and just goes to sleep for a long time. He is like ON/OFF, no in between. :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Rabies, you need to wait til 4 months I believe..Flick got these at 9 wks, Dhp+parvo and goes back at 12 wks for Dhlp..Don't ask me what that means, I forget...But I'm not a fan of Bortadella(kennel cough) unless you plan on doing daycare, Lepto & Lyme, I don't do either, for personal reasons, too many vaccines and I'm not convinced for me that it would be necessary..Once you get past the puppy shots, and are on a yearly or 3 yr plan, then you can decide if you want just "core vaccines" which are distemper, rabies & parvo

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I do core and rabies.   Get them all the series of puppy shots.  Start right in with adding some fish oils or sardines to their kibble and build up that immune system.  The rest of the shots IMO are a la carte items depending on your beliefs and area may or may not be necessary.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
My vet told me that Tango was too young for Lepto when I took him at 12 weeks.  I wanted it but they told me to wait until 16 weeks when he's bigger and stronger.  Supposedly it has quite the sting!  I always get that for my dogs because we hike and there is stale water, animals, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts