Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got Oggie on Sunday and I am trying to line up a vet appointment.  One place said they don't take appointments, only walk-ins, which I thought was odd.  Anyway, he's been to the vet with the breeder but never with me.  I've never owned a puppy before so I want to a) make sure Oggie is safe and comfy and b) I don't want to break any vet rules I don't know about.  

Do I have to crate him?  He's not completely housetrained yet.   I have a large crate (for an adult 70 pound boxer) which is great in the house but awkward to carry.  My other concern is Oggie is still getting used to the crate.  On the ride home from the breeder he REALLY didn't like the crate.  I guess I'm all over the place here but any tips would be really appreciated....I'm nervous about bringing him into public for the first time!  Thanks!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Hello!

Any vet I've been to they just need to be on a leash.  First time I took Lola I brought her some treats and a toy.  She sat in my lap the whole time in the waiting area.  Vets have seen it all, so don't be embarassed about anything that happens.  Lola went the bathroom in the exam room once.  They just laugh and clean it up.  The no appointment thing is very odd though.  I'd maybe find somewhere else.  Good luck with everything and let us know how he does!  He's such a cutie...the vet is going to love him!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Yea, just taking Oggie on a leash is fine. They don't expect you to transport your dog in a carrier, esp a large one!!! Even tho he is still a pup now...Most likely he will just sit in your lap, like Alicia said, and definitely take a few treats.....As far as the crate training, read the Sticky I have in the General Boxer section for some good advice and tips on crating....

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
The leash is enough for a trip to the vet. I'm sure Oggie and you will be just fine for your first vet visit. Good Luck and let us know all the details when you get back!  :)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, thanks everyone!  I found a place that takes appointments and does microchipping, so I made one for Thursday.  It's also right down the street.  Sounds like a good place to start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts