Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,757 Posts
Honestly, IDK if any product is going to keep ticks off of the dogs. I think if ticks were a big issue and I was living where they are, I might talk to the vet about the Lyme vaccine. I really don't know anything about the vaccine because I don't live in a tick area. I'm sure they are here, I just never saw one. Any info on the vaccine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,172 Posts
thanks for your info tootsie, i think i need to better clarify what i was saying..when rescue had animals just recouping or recovering from an illness that needed something to protect them thats what they used, its wasnt used for a pet combined with any ongoing treatment while they were there it was what they used to treat in aftercare or what they suggested in some instances to owners depending on what the animal had been suffering from and the area they lived instead of using the frontline and such...its the only flea med you can give a ferret safely IMO,we have small syringes we do measure the amount depending on the weight of the fuzzy so thats what i know it for best!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I just came from the vet, and he does not recommend the lyme shot for Sunomi. Only because he has so many allergies. He has bad reactions to his vaccines. He said not to give it to him, it could have a very bad outcome even with a shot of Benadryl. Which he has to have before every vaccine. Now he has mange mites :wall: I have to take him for a dip every two weeks for about a month to get rid of those things. :?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,757 Posts
sully said:
This thread actually persuaded me not to get the vaccine, good info from heather and newcastle:

opinions-on-the-lymes-vaccine-t15041.html
Interesting article in that thread. I think if I still lived up north I would forgo the vaccine also, but I'd probably end up obsessed with checking for ticks every day! 8O
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
Cedar is supposed to help prevent fleas, not sure about ticks, so we use cedar mulch and have cedar fencing around our yard, no signs of any fleas. Ticks tend to be in areas with high grass, under brush, or wooded. Any trail walk always ends in a tick search. One of the advantages of the white is you can find ticks very easily. During the heavier tick seasons I can pull 4 or 5 off of him after a 45 minute walk, and be sure to check yourself too, trust me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,757 Posts
I always associated ticks with pine trees, I guess I am way off base! Is there a certain spot on the dogs body that ticks favor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have found them in different spots. The first one was on his side, this last one, under his back leg. I think they will go anywhere. I have had them on me. One on my leg and one on my belly button. They aren't picky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,597 Posts
Cassius-Pup said:
Cedar is supposed to help prevent fleas, not sure about ticks, so we use cedar mulch and have cedar fencing around our yard, no signs of any fleas. Ticks tend to be in areas with high grass, under brush, or wooded. Any trail walk always ends in a tick search. One of the advantages of the white is you can find ticks very easily. During the heavier tick seasons I can pull 4 or 5 off of him after a 45 minute walk, and be sure to check yourself too, trust me.
That's pretty much the only way I guess. Lyme disease is scary. It's even scarier for people. I know a guy who got it last year and he said he became so hypersensitive to light that he had to spend an entire summer indoors. Even if ticks don't bite your dog they can carry them into your home. I would think people with dogs who have kids would be especially concerned about finding a sure-thing product against deer ticks. Ticks are so tiny and if your dog isn't white, good luck findign them. For every 1 you find you probably miss 2. I think most people just aren't aware their dogs are being bitten by fleas and ticks on a fairly regular basis and since they don't see it they jsut assume the medicene is working. The one I found was in an ear. I would have never found it if I didn't feel it when we were horsing around. Finding a tick on a brown dog is a needle in a haystack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
I know when I found Rocky's it was actually in between his toes and Adrian's was on the inside of her leg. My daughter had one on her forehead underneath her bangs that I found when she was washing her hair. I don't have no tall grass around everything is kept mowed down, the only thing I can associate them with is the pine trees.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,306 Posts
We also have deer ticks here, I've found one occasionally on Samson & Angel, none on Flick so far [-O< They are on week 3 of the Bug Off, garlic chews so hoping they are taking effect now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
Last fall we did a hike in tall grass and Cassius had them all up the inside of his legs, I was wearing boots and jeans and pulled one out of the back of my leg late that night after it'd settled in nicely. A co-worker of mine who lives 10 mins from me has a shepherd mix that got bit in her yard and developed Lyme, it's scary stuff.

My vet actually is against the vaseline trick. Yes it will help get a tick out that's engorged but it is not the tick itself that is harmful, it's what's inside. A tick can regurgitate and pass the Lyme to your dog, if you use vaseline you can actually trap that stuff in the wound. Instead she suggested a pair of tweezers to pull the tick out and then a thorough cleaning of the area. Be sure to get rid of the tick in a way you know it won't come back to haunt you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,155 Posts
I got my bug off chews and my dogs absolutely love them. They eat them like treats! So glad I went with the chews over the powder!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,597 Posts
Cassius-Pup said:
Last fall we did a hike in tall grass and Cassius had them all up the inside of his legs, I was wearing boots and jeans and pulled one out of the back of my leg late that night after it'd settled in nicely. A co-worker of mine who lives 10 mins from me has a shepherd mix that got bit in her yard and developed Lyme, it's scary stuff.

My vet actually is against the vaseline trick. Yes it will help get a tick out that's engorged but it is not the tick itself that is harmful, it's what's inside. A tick can regurgitate and pass the Lyme to your dog, if you use vaseline you can actually trap that stuff in the wound. Instead she suggested a pair of tweezers to pull the tick out and then a thorough cleaning of the area. Be sure to get rid of the tick in a way you know it won't come back to haunt you.
Totally agree, vaseline and burning are the old school methods that aren't as effective. Every reputable source I've seen says tweezers are the way to go.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
The thought of ticks is really making my skin crawl. I haven't found on on either of my dogs yet, but we have just moved to a new area. I hope that it won't be bad. We mostly deal with fleas and HORRIBLE mosquitos.

I will have to look into these bug off chews.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
Question if you don't recommend vaseline what do you use other than tweezers to get them out. My vet says to either use vaseline or a vegtable oil even to get them to back out and unbite so you can pull them out and not worry about pulling the heads off and leaving a part of the tick in there. It seems there is so many different ways, just looking for a easier less worring one HOPEFULLY :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
from my experience ticks will fall out of trees (any type of tree) and land on people and pets. they prefer to hang out on the bark not the leaves. if your kids play in an area with bark mulch on the ground check them after because the bark camouflages tics. thats why they like to hang out there.
its more likely you will pick them up in tall grass because they know that they can easily rub off on warm blooded creatures there. but they also reside in well kept lawns. i've caught them crawling on my shoe after walking through a well manicured lawn with no trees.
they're opportunistic feeders and will attach just about anywhere that suits them however from my experience over the years there are spots that they seem to prefer.
on short haired dogs they seem to prefer to attach to inside of the ear especially on floppy eared dogs but they also like the arm pit too. because these areas are dark and tender. they do attach in other areas but those seem to be what they like best.
on long haired dogs they still prefer the same areas but are much more likely to be found everywhere else too because of the long hair.
On people they really like to dine under the hair on your head but specifically behind the ear and nape of neck. but they'll also attach just about anywhere they find suitable.

my brother had one on his scrotum :oops: when we were young.......really tender and dark there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,597 Posts
harley15671 said:
Question if you don't recommend vaseline what do you use other than tweezers to get them out. My vet says to either use vaseline or a vegtable oil even to get them to back out and unbite so you can pull them out and not worry about pulling the heads off and leaving a part of the tick in there. It seems there is so many different ways, just looking for a easier less worring one HOPEFULLY :)
Like Cassiuis was saying, using oils and gels that suffocates the tick just makes them regurgitate the contents of their stomach, and that is exactly where diseases come from. I am guessing your vet is an older guy because they don't really teach that method anymore. Find a good pair of tweezers, grab it as close to the skin as possible and firmly rock back and forth until it all comes out. Most vets have special instruments to get the head out if it remains inside.

Strutter is right on, ticks can be found pretty much anywhere outdoors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
harley15671 said:
Question if you don't recommend vaseline what do you use other than tweezers to get them out. My vet says to either use vaseline or a vegtable oil even to get them to back out and unbite so you can pull them out and not worry about pulling the heads off and leaving a part of the tick in there. It seems there is so many different ways, just looking for a easier less worring one HOPEFULLY :)
my vet recommends tweezers. his method of removal is to get hold of it as close as possible to the head. then pull straight out trying not to leave the head or mouth parts. ( i usually remove them with my fingers, not healthy , i know) then put antiseptic such as alcohol on it. he says that if you do break the head off it may get infected so to keep an eye on it and continue to apply the alcohol or peroxide.

if they arent fat with blood yet i burn them after removing them ...they make a cool pop sound.
if they are fat then i introduce them to the sole of my shoe.

Lyme's doesnt appear to be very prevalent in my area. theres much more talk about rock mountain spotted fever during tick season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,429 Posts
HannaBanana said:
I got my bug off chews and my dogs absolutely love them. They eat them like treats! So glad I went with the chews over the powder!
I went with the powder and wished that I had gone with the tablets, my house smells like garlic for quite a while in the am :( . I like the garlic smell when I am cooking but not just the smell of garlic, I got 4 containers so it will be a while before it is gone.

Heather a question; I am not giving them the full dose yet as it said on the container that I might want to build up to the full dose but I have noticed that they both seem to drink more water. Is it something that you have noticed too or maybe it is just the powder.

One other thing is the garlic burps, :signeek:
 
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Top