Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some suggestions please!

I called my vet and spoke with one of the technicians, she suggested that I find a flea shampoo specifically for puppies of that age and I did. The fear is that he will get sick from the harsh chemicals used in these shampoos. Then to use the advantix as a follow up.

I ended up having to call the vet back for something else and asked if they do flea dip on site as I would rather do this than have Logan's first expierence in his new home be a bath just in case he doesn't like the water. I know most pups won't mind but just in case he would. The next tech that I talked to said ABSOLUTLEY not to give him the flea bath just to apply the advantix and that would kill any fleas on him and any that could potentially get into my home.

I went to the local pet store and asked them to get another opion and they said to use dish soap! I won't be doing that!
I'm confused, don't want to have a house invested with fleas but want my pup to be safe. When I visted him at 4weeks I noticed a couple on him so I'm only imagining that there will be more.

Any suggestions for Logan and his very confused mother?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I agree with ChloeBellesMommy.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Honestly liquid dish soap is one of the best things to use on a puppy/kitten . I use Dawn personally, it will kill any fleas on your pup. I have used the flea shampoos that can be bought (hartz and zodiac are what are availabel in my area) neither one of these worked as well as the liquid dish soap. is there a reason why you wouldnt use it?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Is the pup flea infested?

At 8 weeks more than likely the pup is not going to be spending much time outside the house unless pottying, and I would not really worry about fleas unless you are exposed to a flea infestation.

I personally would never put any preventitive on my dogs.  Frontline, baths etc.   They are pestcicides and they work, but I choose to take a more holistic approach for my preventative.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
hmm...the dawn thing reminded me of the duck commercial with the oil spill. I guess if it is gentle enough for a duck covered in oil, it would work for a pup covered in fleas!  :)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I am not sure of the dishsoap, I try to stick to products made for dogs just because they need a different Ph level than human products.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all so much, the duck  reference was great! I want to do what is best for him. I most likely will try the dish soap, I guess I didn't think of it as being less harsh.

I'm glad I joined this forum because I trust other dog owners as well as my vet. It was very aggrevating to get two different answers from the same place!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Logan\";p=\"26863 said:
 It was very aggrevating to get two different answers from the same place!
Very true that is why all Vet tech's should try and be on the same page of what the "practice" recommends to clients.  

We never recommend a human shampoo as HannaBanna says it does not work for the dogs coat.  However...personal experience ....Dawn works....Now do not bathe your pup every day in it.  Once you have the fleas off then follow up with frontline if that is the way you want to go.  Also a side note is that alcohol kills fleas, so you can get a cotton ball with alcohol on it and check for fleas when you see one dot it wilth the cotton ball and that will kill them too.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
GO BUY 'DE FLEA'!!!! You can get it at the petstore and it comes in a tannish bottle! its for any age puppy or kitten! when we brought rat dog home, he was so infested you could see them bounce off of him and it kills them instantly!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts