Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No chemical Product

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I used to use Frontline and Chloe still managed to get a few stray fleas here and there from her sandbox. Now I use Revolution (only in the summer months) and haven't seen a flea on her in along time.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I use Zodiac shampoo and that worked a miracle. And all the stuff that i have used as in the stuff in the tubes that you rub on their coat, nothing has worked for me. But i am up for trying more new things.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I use Frontline Plus and it seems to work very well on all 4 of my dogs.  I have heard that it doesn't stop the fleas and ticks from biting them, it just kills them after they bite so it helps with preventing reproducing.  However, since I've been using it, none of my dogs have had fleas or ticks.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Frontline plus here..We have a problem with ticks in the summer months and that really helps. Also a good healthy bonus is to use a bit of apple cidar vinegar in their water daily, fleas don't like it  :lol: ...Some people I know also use brewers yeast supplements, but they can cause gas in some boxers  :roll:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replys.  I also use K9 Advantix and so far it works great.  I also like the fact that it kills those pesky little skeeters.  Since I am on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, it is our national bird here.  :twisted:

Since Hurricane Katrina we have seen an increase in all things..... Fleas, Ticks and for whatever reason a major increase in the Parvo virus.  I know everyone has their own opinions on vaccinations, but if you are anywhere close to this county in Mississippi, it has become an issue of vaccinate on time or catch it.  We have even seen it in dogs that are over a year and a half old, which is scary.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Wow, Katrina did a lot more damage than I realized!! That's interesting....My 2 only get vaccinated for Parvo & Rabies anyways..Too many stray dogs roaming around here and you just don't know what they carry!! Something you can use to treat your yard is Diatamecous earth....It's pet friendly and does a great job of keeping a number of pests away  :) I am seriously considering using this as I have a huge area to treat outside and Angel is a big time ground sniffer, so other products won't work..Just as an FYI, standard diatamecous earth is a NO-NO....Too many chemicals, this is a specific type that is formulated for use around pets...

http://www.dirtworks.net/Diatomaceous-E ... FQodCSVl7A

·
Registered
948 Posts
I use Frontline Plus... Used it when Toby was a puppy and used Advantage last year.. I hated it be/c it would wash off when he went swimming.. So this year, back to Frontline!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Alicia, get some rosemary or catnip to place outside. Those are the best mosquito repellants and all natural!!! I have a few pots out on my deck and actually need more...Also mint is very effective for keeping flies away.. :)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Went from Revolution to Frontline Plus along with the Heartgard. I'm back to using Revolution. It's just too easy, and takes care of Heartworm, fleas, ear mites, certain types of mange, and I think I'm forgetting something. One tube a month and it's done, and the dog can have a bath or go swimming (yeah right!  :p ) 2 hours after I apply it. Ok, I'm starting to sound like a commercial!  :wink:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I'm not sure.... :roll:  I pay $94 for a six month supply, so it probably works out the same because I don't have to buy a seperate heartworm med.

·
Registered
948 Posts
At our vet, Frontline is $10 a tube and if you buy 6 you get a 7th one free... So its fairly cheap I guess... But I think I'm going to buy it on ebay .. its like $48 for 6 tubes... But my vet works so well with me when I don't have the cash flow to buy 12 tubes.. (6 for Mia and 6 for Toby)..

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow shows the price difference between states.  Revolution here is 70$ for 6 months here for the 40-88 lb size.  Maybe try going through Pet Med's Express I think it is a little cheaper then that too

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Wow...what a difference! My previous vet charged $98 for a 6 month of Revolution, so when my new vet charged $94, I thought I was getting a deal. I just looked on the Drs Foster and Smith website and they only charge $60 for it. I guess I'll go that route next time...

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
samsonsmom\";p=\"13239 said:
Alicia, get some rosemary or catnip to place outside. Those are the best mosquito repellants and all natural!!! I have a few pots out on my deck and actually need more...Also mint is very effective for keeping flies away.. :)
Thanks for the tip!  I'll have to try that.  I'll try anything to keep those pesty mosquitos away!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
tootsie\";p=\"13328 said:
Wow...what a difference! My previous vet charged $98 for a 6 month of Revolution, so when my new vet charged $94, I thought I was getting a deal. I just looked on the Drs Foster and Smith website and they only charge $60 for it. I guess I'll go that route next time...
Drs Foster and Smith have great prices and they are fast on shipping.  They sell for less then most Veterinary Offices, Pet Med Express and RX Pets products.  If you can get your regular DVM to write a perscription for you.  They sometimes do not want to do that because of the loss of money from buying from them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts