Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've used Frontline since Charlie was pup but I've never really liked it.  I wish there was a shot that would prevent ticks/fleas.  What other alternatives to you guys/gals use?  I've read about some natural remedies but still a bit skeptical.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
We used Advantix for a while, but it made him all itchy.  We switched to Frontline and haven't had any problems.  It just smells bad.  Maybe ask your vet.
Zhanna

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I've used Frontline PLus on mine and have been happy with the way it works..Just curious, what is it that you don't like about it? Some people I know do use natural remedies for fleas, the best one is garlic, and I did use it. Works pretty well, but last summer was pretty bad here in Bama for fleas, so I was having to supplement with flea :(  baths...It is supposed to help with ticks too...Also apple cidar vinegar in the  drinking water is very good. I do that all the time...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm interested in natural remedies because I am not a fan of anything that uses chemicals.  I'm the same way, I don't like taking any medications.  The Frontline also is drying his coat out more and we're trying to get his shedding under control.

·
Registered
977 Posts
How does garlic work for fleas? Do you rub your dog with a clove?! A friend told me to give Voltaire a clove of garlic in his food from time to time to prevent worms but i read online that it can poison a dog so stopped. Don't know if it's true or not? Over here they do natural plant oils in a little tube you empty between the shoulder blades - i tried but it wasn't very effective and the smell of the dog and the oils wasn't a pleasant mix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use Frontline for my two here in pa.  Ticks are really bad, and so is lyme disease. I live next to a state farm park, and there have been several dogs in my area who passed because of Lyme.  I got mine vaccinated for it.  I use the Frontline because if you treat monthly it takes care of fleas and ticks, once every three months for just fleas.  Never had a flea or tick in 5 years, and we have both terrible.  As for naturals, garlic is poison to dogs.  However, my breeder used Brewers yeast.  Feed them the capsules, and dust them down with the powder form as well.  She said she's never had a flea.  As for ticks, other than the topicals I don't think there is anything, Ticks are nasty and carry several potentially deadly to dogs (and humans).  I'd take it into consideration, when giving just a natural.  If your having shedding, and dry coat problems, give your dog Omega 3 capsules, or omega fish oil. 1000 mg 3x day, and 1 400 iu vitamine E capsule.  (you need both together)  My female Hanna peanut has SLO, and autoimmune disease, these are part of her "cocktail". However, researching her disease I learned all about the wonderful benifits of the omega 3 in dogs, and it's what most vets, western med and holistic vets treat dogs with skin problems.  I give them to both of my kids, and their coats have never had such a shine!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts