Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no matter what i do we cant get rid of the fleas!! they are really bad in texas (at least where i am at) this year and our neighbors dont use any treatment for their animals. I religiously put frontline every month on the cats and dogs but i cant get rid of them! I have used the stuff on my carpets and floors-treated the yard and even sprayed stuff through the fence to the nieghbors yards to kinda try to help and nothing is working. the girls are constantly scratching-i think this is where alot of Savannahs excess hair is coming from!  we even had a pest guy come through and treat for fleas in the townhome. Does anyone have any other ideas on treatments i can do- i dont want to over do it, but i hate to think of my fur kids having them.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
The only thing I can recommend is another form of flea treatment. I use Revolution and I've never seen a flea. They are pretty bad here in south Florida too. I've heard of people that use Frontline that have had fleas on their pets. The other thing you can try is to get everyone and all the pets out of your house for the day and set off some flea bombs to kill all the fleas in the house. I know people don't like to use all these things, but once the fleas are in the house, they can be quite difficult to get rid of. You can also get 20 mule team Borax and brush that into the carpet and vacuum it up real good. Good luck, I know it's not fun dealing with those pesky critters.  :?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Flea's are suppose to be bad here in FL but I haven't had to deal with any... I used some yard treatment for fleas, ticks, and other lawn bugs and I use use K9 Advantix on Odin. Want to on Nikki too but I need to use up the rest of the Frontline I have for her. Though I don't know if that's why I haven't seen a flea.

My dad's place in Del Rio, TX was SOOO bad. I'd go outside and play with Nikki and when I'd com back in I'd notice a little sting and there was a flea on my foot. My sisters place was BAD too... worse since she has acres of land... her ankles were all bitten up. Though as far as I know... they weren't really doing anything about it. So I don't know.

I know flea medication doesn't actually repell fleas but kills them after they've been on the animal for an hr. The only bad thing about that is THAT all they have to do is hitch a ride inside and then jump off. Sorry you're having such a problem with them.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Ther are some plants you can go out and buy (great natural remedies) and use as a kind of barrier.  Also these plants are a great way to help keep them off your pups (good supplement for your regular med).  Check out the natural remedy stickey.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
One thing to remember with Frontline is that they can build up an immune system to that product.  So if you have used it for a while...3-6-10 months then it is time to change to another product for a while.

I use K-9 advantix and yes here in the MS Gulf Coast we have tons of fleas and ticks.  I alternate K-9 Advan with Frontline every 3 months....I dont see any on Fiona....

Revolution does work great but if you are using it for Heartworm meds also you have to make sure to get it on the skin, make sure they dont rub it off and follow the directions on bathing before and after the dose.  Not following the directions can lead to problems with the heartworm medicine not working right......It is great though when used right!

·
Registered
186 Posts
im in texas and never seen a flea in my yard or my dogs, so i dont use flea treatment, BUT if the one you are using isnt working i woudl maybe try another kind?  also you can treat your yard with seven dust (usually sold at local farm/tractor store) but i dont think you can let your pets around it when its first treated (may have to double chack about that)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Question- i was reading online and there was a website that said to add yeast pills to the animals food or a small amount of garlic to each meal. that these are natural repelents. i thought garlic was could be toxic to dogs/cats. am i correct on this? I planned on trying to switch to revolution-but cant do that just yet since we just administered another round of frontline.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Chloesmom\";p=\"17726 said:
Question- i was reading online and there was a website that said to add yeast pills to the animals food or a small amount of garlic to each meal. that these are natural repelents. i thought garlic was could be toxic to dogs/cats. am i correct on this? I planned on trying to switch to revolution-but cant do that just yet since we just administered another round of frontline.
There is alot of different thoughts on Garlic you can check this site out...... The main thing is that garlic in small amounts is not harmful it is a large amount at one time.  It affects the red blood cells in dogs and cats.

http://www.petsbynature.com/Garlic.htm

·
Registered
508 Posts
I live in Dallas. I spray my yard with some stuff that Sevin makes which hooks up to your water hose. I bomb the house and that definitely got rid of them in here. And give the boys a flea bath once a week and they are usually good for a little while.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Chloesmom\";p=\"17726 said:
You can use brewers yeast and actually rub that on your pets. Garlic is a natural flea preventative. Yes it is in the onion family and can be dangerous in excess amounts. A 1/2 a clove a week is all that is needed. I've also heard a splash of vinegar mixed in with their food can help.
Here is a link for you: http://www.healthyfoodforpets.com/FleaFree.html

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Since I have so much yard backed with a lot of trees and shrubs not only do I have the fleas but I have the ticks..I am changing over to K9 Advantix (thnks Sharon for the tip abt immunity) I am also starting to add brewers yeast tablets as well. Now I had been told by Samson's foster mom that Brewers yeast gave boxers gas, but I quizzed someone else and said they never had any problems. Add a teaspoon of apple cidar vinegar to their water as well, that works good for flea control..I am also growing catnip and am going to have plants all over the house  :) ,,Next thing you know every kitty within 5 miles will be camped out on my door..... :rofl:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts