Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try and be brief, as I know there are 1000 threads on food, and the more I read the more I'm not sure if it applies to me or not... Hopefully someone can help (I have read plenty, I am not a instant-post-without-searching poster) :)

My 9 month old boxer has had very loose stools for his entire life. Was fed Diamond Puppy formula by the breeder and from me when he got home. At about 6 months old, I asked the vet at what age the stools harden up, and they were surprised to hear I had never had a firm stool.

We did a food trial, and after getting on Royal Canin HP Vet formula, all was well. Transitioning back to Diamond Puppy at the vets request ended with loose stools again. So they consider that a failed trial, and tag him as having food allergies. Now it is a trial and error game until we find something that works, or we spend $150/month on the prescription food (sadly, can't do it).

Anybody else have a kibble they can suggest as my first trial food? With a newborn 3 weeks away (our first), and a 9 month old puppy, and a new job, I would love to make time for raw diet, but things are insane, and about to get even more insane.

Any insight or recommendations appreciated!

- Jason

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Just out of curiosity is it diamond naturals your feeding ? I take it fecal tests have been done, and sent to a lab as well? I don't understand why the vet would get you to put him back on the kibble that gave him diarrhea for 6 months.. likely another ploy to get you back on their prescription kibble that cost an arm and a leg... anyways, i went threw the ringer with Duke and having loose stools. We had tried high end kibble low end kibble, and every other kibble in between... my last option was raw, and it's been the best thing I've ever done for him.. so if all other avenues have been exhausted give it a try :) what is the base ingredient in the kibble?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, no it is just 'Diamond' Puppy. Base ingredient is chicken by-product. Hopefully I can find an affordable kibble, as raw simply isn't in the books for right now (time or money) :/

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Many people who are on a budget have had success with 4Health from Tractor Supply. It's not the best food out there but for the price and if one is on a budget it's a good food. Learning to read labels and understanding them is very important when choosing a food for your pup. There are various sites like dogfoodadvisor.com that are good starting places to learn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the recommendation. I should clarify a little, I am able to provide a high quality food, however I am unable....unwilling? to provide the vet recommended Royal Canin HP at ~$150/month forever. If Diamond is simply an average food (or below), I'd love to hear high quality foods with success on a sensitive boxers tummy. Thanks to you all for taking the time to help!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Chicken is a very common Boxer allergy, unless done raw. Acana is rich on some tummies, Fromm is another very good brand, as is Taste of the wild. We will be feeding raw to our furbaby.

·
Registered
87 Posts
There's a brand called Zignature which can be really good for allergy dogs. All their formulas are single protein and contain no chicken, egg, potato, or grains. My pup had issues for a long time with inconsistent stools and my trainer recommended adding digestive enzymes to every meal and then giving a probiotic twice a week - I've been doing this for just about a month now and I think it's really helped!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a brand called Zignature which can be really good for allergy dogs. All their formulas are single protein and contain no chicken, egg, potato, or grains. My pup had issues for a long time with inconsistent stools and my trainer recommended adding digestive enzymes to every meal and then giving a probiotic twice a week - I've been doing this for just about a month now and I think it's really helped!
This is what I am after! Thank you! I understand I can find information on 'elite' foods online, however my point and reasoning for joining the Boxer Forums is to try and find someone with a Boxer that says 'yup, I know your pain and I'd try XYZ'. Appreciate the help.

I was prescribed probiotics and gave them to him 1 time a day for 30 days straight. We tried an oral squirt of some healthy bacteria prescription, and none of that had any short or long term effect. The only thing that helped him was when we had him on 100% Royal Canin HP.

Good to know about the chicken, I'll dig into Taste of the Wild, as I know that is readily available locally. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is what I am after! Thank you! I understand I can find information on 'elite' foods online, however my point and reasoning for joining the Boxer Forums is to try and find someone with a Boxer that says 'yup, I know your pain and I'd try XYZ'. Appreciate the help.

I was prescribed probiotics and gave them to him 1 time a day for 30 days straight. We tried an oral squirt of some healthy bacteria prescription, and none of that had any short or long term effect. The only thing that helped him was when we had him on 100% Royal Canin HP.

Good to know about the chicken, I'll dig into Taste of the Wild, as I know that is readily available locally. Any other suggestions?
You're very welcome! When my trainer suggested the probiotic/enzymes, she suggested that if some dogs get TOO much probiotics it Cana knots have the opposite effect of what it's supposed to which is why she recommended doing them only twice a week and then the enzymes at every meal to help thendigestuon. Prior to that my Bella was getting a probiotic everyday and it didn't seem to be helping.

And I know that most of those vet prescribed foods are actually pretty low quality and loaded with fillers and corn, wheat, soy - all sorts of stuff that a lot of dogs are sensitive to and hardly any meat and I think Diamond is typically considered not the best quality as well. If you switch over to a better quality food with good ingredients, that alone might even solve a lot of your problems! Taste of the Wild and Fromm have a lot of great, affordable options. A lot of people rave about Acana. Zignature is good if you want to go the limited ingredient route. NutriSource and American Natural Premium are some affordable, good reputation brands as well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks again! Is Zignature readily available? I cant seem to find it at any chain store?
I know it's not available at like PetSmart/Petco. My local pet shop carries it and we have a chain around here called Pet Supplies Plus that all carry it. If you go to Zignature.com they have a store locator so you can see if any stores near you carry it. Most of these higher quality brands should all have that option on their websites since they aren't typically carried at the bigger chain stores. You can also find it on Chewy.com if you wanted to buy online! That website has anything you could ever want that's dog related, lol

·
Registered
484 Posts
My dog has poultry allergies. I had been adding pumpkin to her food for quite awhile and it helped (before I knew about the allergy). When we figured out the allergy I didn't want rx food so I found solid gold and tried the bison (wolf king for adults). It was good but vet wanted her on a single protein. So switched to natural balance lid . Her stools firmed up and itching almost completely gone. I started with the rabbit formula but am now on venison. It's an all life stages food. It's readily available at pet smart, petco, and petfood express. Its not the best, but not the worst either. Vet wanted her on a less common protein so I went with that brand at her suggestion. It costs about 65 for 26 lbs which last my dog about 6 weeks.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
You have many choices. I'd stay away from anything chicken based. I would go to a grain free kibble. I also add a probiotic a few times a week. I didn't expect it to harden his stool more but it does. I just give him 1 about 2 -3 times a week. We feed Victor Select High Energy. $40. for a 40 lbs bag. You don't need to feed puppy formula . google the food its related high on dogfoodadvisor. Our trainer who is also a breeder of sporting dogs recommended it and our vet did also. Kai was put on it at 5 months as they didn't want him growing faster than his growth plates could keep up with.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Hi Food habit is a real concern for dog owners, there are many food which results adversely. Every dog owner should have adequate information about what a dog cant eat and what not. I am not sure about breed but each variant of breed has its own allergy and complication to a specific type of food. I was going through various post here and there and found a good information text here on What Foods Can Labrador Not Eat? They have listed around 18+ food item good to know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts