Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been feeding Zuke the same amount of food since he has been a pup between 3 and 4 cups. Never changed the amount, he is now a little over 2 1/2.

I happened to look on the bag of food and also used the pet calculator on the dog food advisor site just for the hell of it. Says he should be getting anywhere from 5-7 cups a day. That seems insanely high.

Zuke is extremely active and weighs anywhere around 86-90 lbs. Gets Acana kibble and sardines and egg mixed in and rotated through the week with his dinner. Gets fed 3 times a day

How many cups are you guys feeding your guys and gals? I'm not going to change the amount I feed him, but am curious as to what seems to be the average

·
Registered
217 Posts
I go by calories first... protein and fat content a very close second. Every dog is different.
Rocco my Boxer (ipo sport) gets around 1900 calories a day minimum
Mae my GDS (ipo sport) gets 1600 calories a day
Mazzy my Lab (she does sport as well..lol) only gets about 1000 calories day.

Each dog burns it differently

·
Registered
217 Posts
Correct.
So what I feed is 440 calories a cup.
With 26% crude protein, 18% crude fat.
It's the best happy medium I can do without putting each dog on their own food.
Honestly Rocco needs more crude fat (so we add that in)
Mae is perfect and it's a little to much fat for Mazzy

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah ok mine says 33 crude protein 17 crude fat.

I would think with the amount of exercise he gets he would need more. Either his body is very efficient, or he has some horrible metabolism. lol

·
Registered
217 Posts
It's just your pup...lol
My lab is just as active as the other 2 but any more then her 1000 calories and she starts getting fat..lol

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol.

I trust your judgment about dogs Brian, do you think he looks ok in this most recent pic? Tough to tell sometimes when you are the owner.

He's kind of stocky, has a bit of loose skin around the neck and shoulders and can feel his ribs right under the skin.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
He looks good... just from the pic!
I would keep him where he is unless he starts to dropping weight.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Now I'll also say that all mine are a big smaller then your big boy
My female lab is 54 lbs. and female GSD is 57 lbs.
Rocco is 64 but looks like he weights 50. He had zero fat, he is super hard to weight on.
In a few years when he's not a sport dog anymore it will be easier to put a bit more weight on him. He could easily walk around at 75 and still look skinny.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks man. Yeah I don't want him any bigger than that. He is about 88lbs there

Its like he went from a string bean to filling out the last 6 months. He was always a bit taller and lanky but a head like a bowling ball. Maybe he is just big boned. lol. I don't think he will ever have that more streamlined lean muscle look. Just not in his cards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts