Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tyson is normally too exited and hyper to eat, But lately he wont leave his food bowl alone! If I take it away after hes been eating all day, he will sit where the bowl was supposed to go and cry. Not kidding he wont move! Im afraid that hes crying because hes hungry, but Im also a little scared that hes eating too much. I have never had a dog that wants to eat 24/7. So whats the norm for a boxer baby to eat? Do I just let him sit there and cry? ah, now instead of crying hes barking, which he hasnt done until now, so Its kinda cute, but Im sure the cuteness isnt going to last long. Hes also in this stage where I tell him no, and he growls at me and does it anyway!!!! Last night he was biting at me like we were playing. Terrible 2's much?? any suggetsions for that? how do I make him realize Im serious?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Definitely that's a behavior you don't want to encourage..A time out is always a good thing to do..When Angel gets a bit overboard and won't listen, she gets tethered for about 10 minutes til she settles down and it always works...

How much are you feeding Tyson and how many times a day? He sounds like he's becoming obsessed with food, which isn't a good thing..When he does that, give him a toy, something to distract him. Replace a bad thing with a good thing..Just like when they are chewing, you take the bad item away and give them a good item..Same principal...

I've never had a dog act like that, so I'm just throwing ideas out...Hopefully someone else can give you a bit better advice..

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vet told me 1/2 a cup 3 times a day. Thats what hes getting. he also has kong toys sometimes with easy cheese or peanut butter, not very often.  I have replaced his food with toys, but he will have nothing to do with them.
Last night after he thought i was playing I did put him in a time out, he just sat there and growled at me!!! i tell him Im the momma (like he knows what that means lol). Its like hes testing his boundaries. Hes definatley NOT starving, thats for sure.

·
Registered
616 Posts
They can be a little hard-headed and stubborn.  It will take patience and lots of training to get them to understand the rules.  Time outs always worked for us.  

It also doesn't sound like he is starving.  Our will occasionally kick the empty bowl around when they are still hungry but not often.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh, he is definitely testing you! I swear there are days it seems like Angel is plotting how to get me angry with her...He doesn't sound like he's starving, so I wouldn't feed him any more, especially if you are giving him a Kong also...Boy I do love those...Great way to keep them entertained for a bit...I'd keep doing what you are doing..Boxers are smart, they are also hardheaded, that's why it gets frustrating at times...Keep at it....

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Generally puppies up to six months old require twice the amount of food as an adult dog, and they should be fed 3-4 times a day. Puppies six months old and up should be fed twice a day.
I don't remember how old Tyson is but looking at his picture I would guess he is somewhere between 10 and 25 pounds. Guessing that I would say he should be fed anywhere between 1 1/2 - 2 cups of food a day. That is with feeding a premium kibble.  Remember puppies go through a lot of growth spurts where they will need more food, so these are just guidelines.   :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts