Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ahh yes.  It appears Beckham has now discovered human food, since he no longer has his cold.  He's such a little booger!

Very sniffy, very whiny, very climby.  What's the best approach with this?  We definitely do not want him begging!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh definitely, you do not want to encourage the begging. Once it starts you have a very hard time stopping it..Even if you don't feed from the table, some boxers will beg. My Buck & Tia did all the time...Teach Beckham that he needs to go to a spot and lie down while you are eating. Perhaps put a small blanket or something close by, but out of the immeadiate table area. At first you will probably have to use treats to get him used to the command, but after awhile, should work pretty good...Pick out a word to use like, " go to bed, go to your blankie," whatever, but be consistent with whatever you use...

I never fed from the table with any of mine, but Marq always did so when he moved in, Samson was in heaven, now we are trying to break him of it due to his weight and believe me having a pair of brown eyes staring at every move you make is a bit disconcerting  :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks so much for the suggestion! we were eating at a relatively low table, so i think it will have to be kitchen table forever from now on! :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Yea, eating at the coffee table isn't a good idea right now.... :)  He's too curious at that age.....But oh so cute.....

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Henry stares at us like he's starving while we're eating.  I tell him it's not for puppy and he needs to find something else to do.  Then we just ignore him.  He usually gives up and goes to chew a toy or something.  My son, 13, on the otherhand, talks to Henry the whole time.  I tell him it's not helping.  I swear the pup is easier to train than the boy! :D
Zhanna

·
Registered
770 Posts
Daisy never ever bothers me when I am eating but my boyfriend on the other hand gets stared at for the whole duration of eating his tea! And why- because he occassionally feeds Daisy something off his own plate! And now it really annoys him when she just sits in front of him giving him evils when he eats but I always explain to him- it's your own fault!
So I would say never feed Beckham any of your own food and he should get the idea that he isn't getting anything and leave you alone. I'd just try to ignore him and don't look at him.

Heather

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heather-mumofdaisy\";p=\"4570 said:
So I would say never feed Beckham any of your own food and he should get the idea that he isn't getting anything and leave you alone. I'd just try to ignore him and don't look at him.

Heather
thanks heather!

yeah, we decided from the beginning NEVER to feed him human food, and we are advising friends the same thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts