Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got our puppy boxer and have never had a dog before and I just wanted to know what everyone was feeding their pups out there. Right now we have Science Diet for Large Breed puppies but I've been reading on the corn allergen and don't want to feed Brodie something that will hurt him or give him allergies. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
There are 2 Sticky topics regarding food, definitely worth a look

·
Registered
780 Posts
I would look at the sticky topics area first and then go from there.  The main thing will be what foods you have in your area and what food brodie does well on.  Just remember that what works for one dog might now work for yours and don't rule out any food just based on the ingredients in it!   :D   Good luck, there is alot of good information on here about the different foods!  

We feed a large breed food for ours and used a large breed puppy food.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I find food is a sticky subject with most dog owners !  In addition to my boxer puppy I also have a 7 month old weimaraner and 2 nine year old rat terriers and a 5 yr old rat terrier.  

My seniors were all on senior food and my weim puppy was on Pro Plan large breed puppy.  My weim puppy preferred their food so I started making them all eat large breed puppy food too !

Anyway, long story short.   I did a little research and tried Canidae.  They have an all stages formula so for me it made feeding time much easier.  It isn't really more expensive than what I was feeding and they can all eat it.  The upside is they LOVE IT ! I must say they have just started their 4th bag (40lb bags) and the difference in their coats and energy levels is amazing.  One of my old ratties has a seizure disorder and we were seeing an increase in his seizure activity prior to beginning this food.  His last seizure left him with a cervical neck injury and unable to stand on his own.  I am happy to report in addition to having more energy and being more alert, he has been seizure free for a little over 2 months !  One of the other ratties had issues with allergies and would chew her feet.  That problem is now gone as well.

Just do some research and find out what fits best for you and your dogs !

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I would also check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com I think that site provides a lot more of the "why" and "how" to choose a quality dog food instead of just adding or subtracting points.
Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts