Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :) I am new to the group and am looking for advice and recommendations on food. I have two senior boxers, both almost 8, from different litters. My boy, Baron, is a 100lb brindle German Boxer. My girl, Zoe, is a 65lb reverse brindle. Over the last 2 1/2 decades, I have had 6 boxers. Two had heart conditions and passed at 2 and 3yrs. Two others lived until 10. So I have a bit of experience with the breed. I have fed all sorts of good quality kibble mixed with can. Switched them to raw for a couple years but one of my girls built up an immunity and was unable to keep raw down so I switched back to kibble and a scoop of canned. I know this isn't the best for them but have always tried to navigate 1. their picky palate, 2. well rounded nutrition, 3. their sensitive digestion issues, and 4. our limited budget. Baron has hydroconplasia paired with a sizable underbite so he typically gulps his food, which I think is what gives him so much room blowing stinky gas. But I am wondering if it's just his gut and how the food affects him. He also has onset pancreatitis so I am careful about the amount of fat he consumes. My girl eats the same and she rarely has gas and has no issues except both have arthritis and I give them pet CBD drops for pain. So my question is: is there a dog food anyone here likes that addresses boxer sensitive digestion, picky palate and is budget conscious? Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have used a few different kibble food for my dogs I have had 6 boxers as well now each one had different issues. I lost two to grain free dog food induced DCM so no more of that for me I lost them within 6 months of each other so that's all the convincing I need its bad. The only thing they had in common was the same food. I now feed the two I have Purina products my current male was having tummy issues so I switched him to Purina instinct venison/turkey and I add cooked ground low fat turkey to his food my female who is spayed was having weight issues so I put her on Purina healthy weight she is doing well and staying trim on that. The Vets in my area recommend Purina or royal canin I have used both. My dogs don't have a big gas issue either except when my male developed stomach issues. I hope you find something that will work for you but its not good to keep switching. I use raised feeders for my dogs as well helps them eat more comfortably.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
@[email protected] Thank you so much for your response. I will look into Purina Instinct :) I have always fed my dogs on raised feeders as well!
Is this the food you are referring to? View attachment 136608
Yes that's the one I use but be careful make sure its not the grain free kind. They make some grain free products as well my boy with tummy troubles has been doing ok on this so far and its seems to digest pretty easily for him. But I do use a handful of ground cooked fat free turkey for his meat the canned version of this was too fatty for him. I always used to put some canned on their dry foods so I don't use canned anymore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts