Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it common for boxers to not be overly food motivated? Murphy likes treats for work, but lots of things can be more exciting than the treats. I have had all sorts of good stuff, the rolls of treats that are super stinky, salmon treats, cooked chicken breast and still things can turn off his food motivation. I have never had a dog I couldn't find a treat that they went over the top for. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Cooper is not a super big eater either. Actually I've been on the board looking for new kibble he really likes. He likes string cheese as a treat though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol, he likes toys, but I think that would be even less successful. Not to mention I'd be banned from class because it would have to be a squeaky toy!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
He loved the stinky roll treat I cut up, but it got boring. Then he loved the lamb jerky the trainer had. So, I think it is going to be a matter of having a variety for all sessions. I'm taking turkey hot dogs tomorrow night along with the roll and we'll see if that will work. I do not use any of these super high value treats at home so they remain special. In theory at least.

·
Registered
237 Posts
In my training class we are encouraged to use toys as a reward. I use both soft treats and rope toy. But I only use that toy in training, keeps it new and exciting for Callie. The other thing you can try is don't feed your dog that day instead use the kibble that you would feed as training one piece at a time. This works well with heal work. Callie use to pull me all over the place till I used this method. Now I have a great heal off leash.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last night in class I had the treat roll, some turkey hot dog cut up and then bought the lamb "jerky" that the trainer used last time that he liked. I switched between the three so he wouldn't get bored with any of it. His attention was MUCH better. I mixed it up with giving him some brain breaks and playing a little bit to make it fun. We have this game where I give his butt/side little pinches and he gets all silly and wiggles around in circles wagging his tail. He loved those breaks and didn't cause a ruckus for any other pups in the group.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Last night in class I had the treat roll, some turkey hot dog cut up and then bought the lamb "jerky" that the trainer used last time that he liked. I switched between the three so he wouldn't get bored with any of it. His attention was MUCH better. I mixed it up with giving him some brain breaks and playing a little bit to make it fun. We have this game where I give his butt/side little pinches and he gets all silly and wiggles around in circles wagging his tail. He loved those breaks and didn't cause a ruckus for any other pups in the group.
Glad he did good! Sounds like you did a great job!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts