Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone feed bil jac? I was at a store and a bil jac rep was there telling ppl that bil jac is made in America and only uses chicken...no fillers.  Anyone have an opinion on this food? I did buy it, (because the ppl that had him b4 were feeding him old roy) and I wanted a better food for him..

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Well, of course it has fillers.  :roll:  It contains corn, which can be an allergy problem for some dogs, but at least they use the whole grain rather than fragments; some type of starch is necessary for the end product, but is not a nutritional requirement for dogs, so is, technically, a filler.   It also contains dried beet pulp, which is pure filler (though some companies call it a "fibrous stool hardener").  The fact that they use chicken as well as chicken by-products is good, but I'd much rather see the chicken listed first; ingredients are listed by weight, and chicken by-products are listed twice.  (As well, while organ meat is a good thing to include, it shouldn't be the bulk of the diet as it is in the Bil-Jac food.)  

There are certainly far worse foods out there, of course, but there are some better ones, too.  It comes down to what works for your dog. :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
We have reps in the Petcos in Minneapolis who are really trying to push Bil-Jac.  The first ingredient mentioned is corn, so that was an instant turn-off for me because of the allergies that can come along with it.  

We feed Beckham Solid Gold Wolf Cub Puppy Mix because I heard about what a wonderful food it is.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks...I'll be looking for a different food then, this whole thing about the recall is scary, and the fact that old roy was on there as well and he was eating that really scared me, so I will look today....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Anything that has "by-products" turns me off - that can be beeks, feathers, or any other part of the animal that is not fit for human consumption. :thumbdown:

Try Canidae, Chicken Soup, Timberwolf - they are all good foods and they are organic.  Also - look at some previous posts that have links to sites that have done some analysis on the different brands.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a place that sells canidae right up the road, and I'll be on my way this afternoon soon as hubby gets home...thanks :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually just called my mom in PA, she'll be switching to it as well...she was feeding pro plan, until I told her about canidae, she wasn't aware there was such a thing as natural dog food...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts