Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by the guy at a pet store that you can either feed them 2 times a day or 1 time a day it doesn't matter as long as he gets the same amount of food each day, my problem is If I feed him first thing in the morning before I leave for work and before he gets his morning walk, then he poops in his cage, cuz he doesnt have time to work it through,

my question is ... is it fine to feed him once a day in the evening so he has time to work it out before bed or is once a day too much time not to eat for him?

advice or tips are welcome..

ty
Will and Lewis.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
2 x's a day is best...That way they have nutrition to last the entire day...  What you can do is feed him FRST thing in the morning ...then give him a hard core play session...that should help him eliminate...

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that this morning, I fed him at 6, <I leave at 7>, we went for a walk to the park and ran around, played fetch, and walked back, he had a little poop and I thought that was it, I checked on him at lunch and he still pooped in his cage.. maybe I'll try getting up earlier to feed him..? but there must be a better way LOL.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Good point...Big DUH for Liz...SRY!!!  A reasonable walk should be fine...A agree that you should get up earlier to handle this...Also clean the crate with a vinegar solution to get rid of the elimination smells...That could be contributing to your problem...

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
405 Posts
We feed our babies first thing in the morning...that way they have a good hour and a half to let it work through their system (they nap and play a bit while we get ready for work, then get a short walk)...also, we do a REDUCED portion in the morning and bigger portion at night (helps keep their bellies full for a good night's sleep too)...so in the am I feed her about 2/3 to 3/4 of a cup. At night, she gets 1 1/4 to 1 1/3 cups. This way, if she doesn't go before I leave for work, hopefully there is less pressure in her belly until her mid-day walk, hopefully preventing a mess.

Another thing, we could NOT get Abby to stop going in her crate initially...did a fecal and she had giardia, therefore she just couldn't control it...so if the problem does not resolve, look to other causes and consider a run to to the vet.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Another question is ~ Is there too much room in the crate?  There should be just enough room for them to be comfortable but not enough room for them to use the facilities.  Boxers usually don't soil their sleeping areas unless there is something wrong medically with them.  Is there a divider you could use in the crate?  You can take it out when he grows a little to give him more room.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have a board in there to make it smaller, I feel it is a good size for him he has room to lay down but doesn't have room to run around, I would say "comfortable" for him, he only did it once, and it was off to the side of the cage like he didn't really have a choice, but I don't want him to get into the habit of doing it so I'd like to take care of it before its an issue.

your input and advice is great, thanks again. I'll just get up earlier to feed him and give him some time to digest it and hopefully that solves it.

Will and Lewis...

·
Registered
508 Posts
yeah i would say two times a day is better myself. I had to start waking up earlier to feed my boys before i left to go to work also. Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts