Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Food Question

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ReekosMom 
#1 ·
Ok so I just finished college and have moved back home and I have my own place. Well tank hasn

#2 ·
Yes. I've always fed puppy food until they are 12-16 months.  It is higher in protein and helps build mass quicker. However on another note Jack is almost 2 1/2 yrs old and you can still see his ribs and he weighs 65lbs.  The vet said that is normal for him.  Unlike Roxie who is about the same age and she is thick but she only weighs 50 lbs.  So let that little guy eat as much as she needs for now.

#3 ·
No, I wouldn't feed puppy formulas. Puppy formulas tend to have more protein and fat in them which can promote faster growth in puppies leading to some skeletal and joint problems later on. Boxers are fast growing pups and don't need all that extra fat and protein. If you are going to feed a puppy formula, feed a large breed formula. They have less protein and fat and are suppose to help slow down the growth for fast growing pups. I would actually feed an all stages food from the very beginning. That way you don't have to even worry about when to switch to an adult formula.  :wink:

#4 ·
Hmmmm, feeding and vaccinations will always be a topic that gets many diferent responses because there is such a varied view on them....Your main thing to remember is that all puppies are the same and at the same time all puppies are different.  

Someone may have a 30 pound 6 month old and someone else may have a 45 pound 6 month old.  This would be because of the things that vary the size of the dog....Feeding only being one of them... I think feeding a food that is well balanced and is low in fat and protein is the best route for a fast growing larger bodied puppy....There are so many foods, read the labels and compare....Find what works best for your babies body style and size.

For me personally, I feed puppy large breed formula.

#5 ·
I've always fed puppy formula.

#6 ·
Now that ours our grown we feed kibble in the morning and homemade in the evening.  My wife either bakes or boils a whole chicken then de-bones it.  Then she adds peas, egg shells, brewers yeast, cottage cheese, yogurt and I may be missing a few things but then it all goes into the food processor.

#7 ·
We have always fed a large breed puppy food to ours for the first year.  Just like a real baby puppies need extra nutrients during their first year.  

It is personal preference on what to feed, how much, etc.  Everyone on here feeds a little differently, different foods, styles, etc.  If your dog is doingell on what you are using and has a good coat, is active and healthy then he should be fine but if the vet has recommended a puppy food for him I would find a good one and mix it with the food you are now using until he is just on the puppy food until he is at least a year.

#8 ·
I fed puppy food ith no problem to Roxy but I dont think Ill feed it again after all Ive read and heard! Illl feed an all life staged dog food like I am with Roxy now! She eats Canidae! I feed her 1 cup in the morning then I give her raw at night (beef liver and chicken gizzards, liver, heart ect and bananas, potatoes, apples all mashed together! She is doing really well on the diet I have her on now! Her coat is getting all nice and shiny and it sooo much softer then when I had her on just kibble!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.