Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Astro has been on "Iams Large Breed Puppy" since we got him at 4 months old.  He did good on it for a while, and then around 6-7 months of age we noticed some soft stool.  We thought he just had an upset stomach so we gave him some boiled chicken and rice for about 48 hours.  His stool became formed again but after we gradually put him back on his regular food, his stool then became soft again.  I took him to the vet and she ran a fecal on him which came back negative so she put him on "Eukanuba Low Residue Puppy" for about 1 month.  That food seemed to work really well and his stool went back to normal.  So the vet recommended we gradually put him back on the Iams.  He has been fine up until now.  He seems to have soft stool again and more frequently.  Now he will go "poop" outside and within a half hour he will "poop" again in his crate.  I'm pretty sure the Iams isn't sitting well in his stomach and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what is a good food for sensitive stomachs.  Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
At about 4 mths you can switch your pup to an allstages food.  Professional makes a natural line of dog foods.  I believe that they have one that is especially for sensitive stomachs.  I have Lilly on Iams Lamb and Rice and she is doing great.  

If he was doing okay on the Eukanuba, then maybe you could switch him to one of their all stages formulas.

Hope this helps...

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
At 10 months you can safely switch to an all stages food. What are you feeding Roxy? Maybe you can get them both on the same food. Why not try something like Solid Gold or Canidae. Both are high quality all natural human grade ingredients. All the higher quality foods also come in a lamb and rice formula which may be better for food sensitivity. Iams and Eukanuba aren't that good quality wise. They are filled with corn, fillers, and grains, all of which can be tough on their tummies. You can also take a look at this link which are very high quality foods.

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... opic&t=659

There is a lot to choose from, but maybe you can find one that is available close to you and Astro and Roxy will do good on.  :wink:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now Roxy is on "Iams Large Breed Puppy" as well.  I have to buy her a different food this weekend, probably the Timberwolf Organics, because she eats so much and has so much energy that she is still skinny.  She needs a food that is high in protein and calories.  Thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I think the Timberwolf is an excellent choice!  :wink:  Let us know how they do on it!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the same problems...in conjunction to the Euk. medicated food, the vet gave us "over the counter" dog vitamins (I forgot the name) but it was to build up the GOOD bacteria to help form the stool back into a solid form. You can either get powder or pills....cheap...and works.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've actually looked more into it and I think I'm gonna put Roxy on "Nature's Variety Raw Instinct" as Newcastle recommended.  I'm also going to take Astro to work with me tomorrow and have my vet check him out because I'm getting really worried.  I'm afraid he might have irratible bowel sydrome.  I've noticed that he does good on the "Iams" for about 2 months and then he gets soft stool which then turns to diarrhea.  It seems like a cycle and I'm just worried about him and I want to make sure there is nothing else wrong him.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Let us know how he does at the vet.  :wink:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ahh, poor Astro..Please let us know what the vet says....

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will update you guys as soon as I get home from work tonight (It's very strange how I can use the internet at my desk but this website seems to be the only one I can't get on...it's very frustrating).  Thanks for everything.  I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, so I might have some bad news about Astro. :( The vet thinks he could possibly have Boxer Colitis. :cry: We got a fecal sample from him just to make sure it's not parasites and she told me to put him back on the "Eukanuba Low Residue Puppy" for now until the fecal comes back.  She said it also could be he has a sensitive stomach to the "Iams" but if it is a recurring thing it is most likely Colitis.  We have to wait to see the test results for the fecal, which should be back tomorrow.  I hope everything is okay with him.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I really hope everything comes back okay with Astro. I am hoping it is just a reaction to the Iams. Keep us updated...

·
Registered
780 Posts
Sorry to hear that!  Poor Astro, hopefully the vet was wrong and it is just the food.  Good luck!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I sure hope it is only the food!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Food Recommended for Sensitve Stomachs (update on Astro)

Okay so here's the update on Astro:
His stool sample came back normal so we've ruled out parasites.  The vet said that it could either be the food or it could still possibly be Colitis.  She said the next step is to run some bloodwork on him and he might have to take some medicine for a trial period.  We have to keep him on the Eukanuba Low Residue to make his stomach feel better and to harden up his poops, but he has an appointment on Friday to get the bloodwork.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Kinda like a good news, bad news thing huh? Poor Astro, how frustrating this is for all of you...Keeping you in my thoughts and hopefully this gets resolved real soon...

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I hope you get this figured out real soon. I know it can't be much fun for either of you. Hugs and slobbery kisses to Astro.  :wink:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys.  I'll keep you updated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts