Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone (other than calling individual food companies) know where I may be able to get food samples? We're having trouble with Brady and eating. He isn't liking anything lately and buying the small 5 lb bags of everything is getting expensive given that I can't get him to eat any of it. And Abby will eat anything but she can't have these foods as we haven't sorted out her allergy yet.  

Brady will eat treats but just won't go for regular kibble lately.  I looked at the ingredients on the treats to see if I could figure out what was attracting him to that, but it's basically lower grade kibble ingredients. If i have to, I will get him lower grade food if he'll eat it and supplement it if it means he will eat and enjoy what he eats but he won't eat anything I buy, just spits out anything I do get him to try.  my finnicky eater.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Nutro will send you free samples.  Or they did us.  I looked them up via a search engine.  I don't know about any others.  Maybe just try looking them up and see if they'll send some samples.

Good luck with that little fella.  Our cocker wouldn't eat anything but Kibbles N Bits! :roll:

Z

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I just requested one from Nutro and I am going to call the vet on Monday bc I know they have samples of Iams. Not the best selections, but given that eating is one of a dog's favorite activities, I want him to enjoy it!!!! And at least eat!!! I had to feed him yogurt treats for breakfast this morning just to get him to eat, which he of course enjoyed, but it doesn't give him much nutrician.
As much is put into finding the best dog food for your pet, it doesn't do any good if they don't eat. Even if we end up on Iams...my cocker growing up ate Iams her whole adult life and lived until 15.

Kibble and bits, huh? I will keep that in mind.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
If you go in the food and diet info forum, there is a sticky on foods recommended to feed your boxer. I believe each one of those foods has a website next to it. A lot of those companies will send you a sample of their product. That can be very helpful in deciding what to feed. I sent away for samples I think when the 2005 WDJ list came out. I was bombarded by samples being sent to my house. I think the mailman thought I was running a kennel inside!  8O

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Also. if you go to an AKC sanctioned show they will likely have dog food booths set up (along with a number of others).  I went to an AKC sanctioned show yesterday and walked away with 12 lbs of food (3 different bags) and two small baggies of new treats for Lilly to try FREE...

Just another option...

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm....good ideas! thank you!!! i just gave him a sample of a new one and he turned his nose up at it. he finally got hungry enough that he ate some though. poor little guy.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Yeah, Kibbles n Bits isn't the best, but it's all he would eat.  He lived to 16.  My poor mother cried for a year when she had to put him down.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Have you tried adding canned food to the dry??  Just a little bit??  I found this new canned food.....it is amazing!  It has carrots, peas, apples, meat...and its all natural! Apparently we could eat it!...YUCK!! Get this..one of the cans names is "Grandmas thanksgiving dinner".  I'm going to the pet store tomorrow to buy more, so I can let you know the name.  I buy 6 cans for two dogs and make that last about 8 days.  I just add a tiny bit to each dry food bowl.  My pups scarf it down!  Mine were getting the way yours is that is why I gave the canned a go.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The food we feed is Bil-Jac they will send a nice sized sample out if you request it.  www.biljac.com

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have you tried Petco or Petsmart? I've seen some hanging in the aisles, at least in the All Natural section. I saw samples for $.99 and under.

·
Registered
352 Posts
our local pet store gave us a sample of each Timberwolf Organics food they had.  it was very nice of them so I would ask any store owners who might stock this food.  My guess is the company sends the samples to those who sell it...

Madeline loves them so far so once she's done with the Natural Balance, we'll probably switch her.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Yes a lot of retailers do have samples on hand - just dont put them out because I think many people would stash them and use it as free food rather than a sample, so good point - Id ask too:)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Oh my goodness I can't say enough good things about Timberwolf Organics! If you can get a free sample, do it!!  We just put Chloe on the Dense Lamb , Barley and apples and she loves it and her coat has never looked so good. She also has tons of allergies and can't be on many foods and is super picky but she LOVES it. This is the first food in almost 3 years she has ever got excited to actually eat.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I got food samples of Wellness and Nutro for Logan from my local pet store and he seemed to take to the Nutro well, obviously a little nervous with the post of the recall but his is only dry food and not the one posted. He took to it excellenty but I have heard GREAT things about the Wellness. Here is the website off the sample I have www.wellnesspetfood.com and a number 800-225-0904

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'm so glad you have found a great food for Chloe.  I've read how you have been struggling with her allergies and this is great.  I just read Timberwolf's website and I must say very impressive.  Good luck with continued success.  Let us know how she does.  This food is definitely one for me to look into as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts