Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need a little advice.  Recently switched Champs food. He was on Canidae dry with little bit of Merrick wet mixed in.  We thought it be good to try all Merrick.  Well after gradually switching over the dry he now has awful gas compared to practically none he had before.  We want to go back to Canidae dry .  My question is should be slowly transition back or since we fed it to him before can we cold turkey switch?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I would say transition him back.  How long has he been on the Merrick?  

Also, where do ya'll find this food?  I've never heard of it before.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hes been on purely Merrick about a week with a week transition from the canidae.  A local petstore around here carries it cant get it at commercial stores.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm in Texas and all I can find is Chicken soup.  I think it might take him longer than a week to get fully adjusted to the Merrick.  I don't know which one is better though.  I would still transition him back...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah thanks maybe I'll give it a little more time see if it works itself out....just wanted to see if i could get rid of this gas the quick way...oh well i can deal with a smelly boxer a little longer...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I was feeding Canidae to mine, but switched over to Merrick a couple of months ago and I can't believe the difference in their coats and their overall appearance. But I would agree that the Merrick is definitely different than the Canidae and Kane definitely has more gas eating the Merrick.  I wouldn't switch back however as he has completely stopped scratching and his coat is incredible now.  I'm wondering if you gave Champ enough time to adjust to the Merrick - maybe switching to quickly and not letting his system adjust to it.  Good luck though, Canidae is a good food too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
k thanks for the advice guys ill be patient and see if it sorts itself out.....figure about a month on the merrick wont do any harm

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Plain unsweetened yogurt does wonders for gas.  :winkle:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts