Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just wondering what diet you all feed your dogs on? It is always good to hear other people's opinions on this subject!!!! The reason i ask this is because our poor girl kona has had dog gaustro for the last week and has lost so much condition! The only thing we have been allowed to feed her is fresh chicken!!! We have always found it hard to keep the condition on her even though she is on a special formulated boxer food called 'royal canin'. Anyone else heard of this?  Now this will make the battle even harder!  :aua:  What diet are your dogs on and how do you fatten them up?  :bshelp:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Some dogs just have a faster metabolism than others. Buck was my skinny one. I couldn't keep weight on him. As a matter of fact, I had to try & fatten him up some before both him & Tia took their flight across the pond..I would feed him dark meat off the chicken & the skin..

Right now Samson is on Nutro Blue label with Glucosamine, but I'm going to be switching to Canidae Lamb & rice.. Also another good one is Blue Buffalo, I know a rep if you  want more info on that one..The gas very well could be caused by her food...I lost my link, but you can go online & get a breakdown of all dog foods & it rates them,,I f I find my link , I'll pass it on to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i think our girl must have a faster metabolism! I'll try wht you said though and see how that goes! Thankyou! As for the other brands of food i have honestly never heard of them! Where abouts are you situated? Kona and myself are from Ballrat, Australia!!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you say raw diet what exactly is that? Is that like raw pet mince or fresh meat? Sorry for all the questions!!! :bsoop:

·
Registered
744 Posts
No worries! Not a problem at all! :)

A raw diet follows what a wild dog would eat in the wild. Basically, take a whole raw chicken (rabbit, duck or fish), bones and all, cut it into meal sized pieces and feed a piece per meal over the course of 3 or 4 days (raw, of course). :)

Every once in a while, I'll throw in minced beef with an egg as well.

I also feed a fruit and veggie slurry that I make in the blender.

The bones are completely safe for them to eat because they are fed raw, at which point they're still pliable. Bones only become a problem if cooked, so you should never feed cooked bones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts