Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What food do you feed your dogs? I fed my NUTRA and he had stomach problems now i feed him SCIENCE DIETand he is fine. Is there anything that you would recomed that i could feed him?

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I've heard Science Diet referred to as Science Death because of all the corn in it.  We're feeding dogs, not cows!  Stupid Hills people!

There are some previous threads that list all the good foods.  You want to avoid corn and meat byproducts.

Make changes slowly.  Two weeks to a month, to avoid upset tummy.

Good luck!
Zhanna

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
www.dogfoodanalysis.com  is a good place to start research for food. although the 6 star food is generally for older dogs because of the high protein content.

I feed my dogs Canidae. but I'll be switching back and forth between canidae and Merrick. Providing they do well on the Merrick. (we haven't tried it yet.)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Science Diet is really not the best food to feed, vets recomend it a lot, but they get a kick back from the manufacturer...Here's a list of foods that Whole Dog Journal lists as premium foods, take a look thru it and see what's available in your area. Keep in mind, if your boxer has any food allergies, you might want to read the food analysis as well...I'm actually considering switching to Dr Fosters  food  :)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
we use the Nutro Natural Small bites- the girls hate big kibble. I am thinking of switching though. not sure yet-still reviewing all the foods and what is in my area

·
Registered
508 Posts
I use Canidae All Life Stages and mine are doing great on it. Coats are shiny and they are lean and mean lol

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I love Canidae.  I will never change Jessies food again!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Natural Choice Lamb Meal and Rice here...  Want to switch though..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Im feedin Nutro Puppy Lamb n Rice formula.  I want to switch since my pooch is havin soft poo issues.  The one I use is the only one in PetSmart that doesn't have corn in it.  Have to find another pet store around here.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I wanted to switch to Dick Van Patten's stuff but it got caught up in the food recall too...  :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
We just switched to Lotus puppy food from Innova.  We were told by our Vet and pet store - Innova is very rich (which explains the gas issues).  Our 8 month old female flashy fawn "Dajah" has been going thru a funk this past week not wanting to eat her food so we thought to try something new and were referred to Lotus by another Boxer owner.  Well she loves her new kibbles! :)  

Anyone else heard of Lotus or use this brand?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'm not sure that I understand the difference between BARF and RAW feeders - just trying to learn about this method of feeding myself.  The more I read the more I realize there is to learn and I don't want to make the plunge until I feel certain I know what I'm doing.  Currently feeding Merrick Wiild Blend and am totally satisfied with it for both dogs.  So far so good.   There are definitely people that feed both RAW and BARF on the site, and I'm sure they can explain it where I can't.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
im feeding purina puppy food now which is a garbage food but it is what he will eat right now since his breeder started him on it. He has been home a month now and has finished all shots and ready to go so i am thinking of switching him to either canidae all life stages, Merrick puppy plate, or another store based holistic brand but it is all dependent on which sample he likes best.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Im feeding Eagle Pack Holistic Medium breed adult and puppy with a mixture of eagle pack holistic wet/canned food. Its giving my pup a nice shiny coat.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm feeding Purina One Sensitive Systems and both of mine do wonderful on it.  Don't think I'll change.  Everything with them is great!!! :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Diesel-Power\";p=\"19347 said:
What food do you feed your dogs? I fed my NUTRA and he had stomach problems now i feed him SCIENCE DIETand he is fine. Is there anything that you would recomed that i could feed him?
You should get on the dog food analysis site and read what they say about Science Diet....my parents feed their dogs this on Vet Recomendation.....the site list this as a "1 star food"...and "only one star because there is nothing lower".

The 6 star foods are REALLY pricey and hard to find locally...we have been able to find most of the 4-5 star foods around with a little research.  Pet food specialty shops are normally our best bet (NOT Petsmart/Petco, ect)

And I have ZERO confidence in my Vets recomendations...they don't even know what half the premium dog food brands are..they just keep pushing Science Death!

We have switched foods several times....we like Canidae and Chicken Soup, but still had issues with allergies.  We are now on Wellness and are having good success.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
And I have ZERO confidence in my Vets recomendations...they don't even know what half the premium dog food brands are..they just keep pushing Science Death!
I do with certain extent.   Vets are not required to be certified in nutrition.   Some would think they would want to learn and know what there is to know rather than what food company will give them kick backs if they sell a certain brand.   Thing is to find a vet that you can talk to and one that supports the decisons you make (nutritionally) for your dog.

Our vet sells Science Diet, Hills all sorts of perscription kibble.   One of the vet we have seen is even not so keen on how we feed raw, however, she respects our decision, give us some new pointers (from the holistic vet) and does not push anything on us.   That's what I respect.  We put a lot of time and effort into knowing what's best for our dogs, and think that right there deserves some respect.    I also like an open vet that will take into consideration your view on lets say vaccinations, allows you to state your point, then they state theirs and you find a common ground.  

Sometimes research can  be your best vice!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts