Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I am on a kick today about what I shouldn't be giving my puppies.... (can you read it? sorry its so small)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Yeah there is a few on that list that I feed Maddie, some on a daily basis!  :? But I agree, string??? :eh:   I'm curious as to the source of this list.   :roll:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Some of the things listed are good, so I went ahead and made it a sticky, but I'm with ya on the string,,,,"Ok guys, lets have dinner, let's see we have string on the menu tonite!"  :lol:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i have a question about a few....first i thought you could feed your dog raw eggs and it would HELP the coat, but only do it once maybe twice a week.

I thought i also read when researching herbal remedies for fleas that you could give a dog up to a tablespoon a week of garlic because garlic is a natural repelent...but not to do this every week. (i havent done so yet)

And lastly if we cant give dairy products why is it ok to give cheese?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, string seems a little weird to actually feed to a pet. However, my parents have two cats and one day the female found her way into the bathroom where a piece of dental floss was laying on the floor because someone missed the trash...

She almost died from it, but luckily it made its way through her digestive tract. Now their garbage can in the bathroom is 3 times bigger and has a lid.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I give Maddie raw eggs about 2-3 times a week. I give her a half a clove of garlic once a week, but only in the winter months. I don't use flea control in the winter, just use the garlic. In the summer I have to use revolution but don't like giving that year round. Let's see..the dairy, I give her 1-2 tablespoons of yogurt every night. She also gets cheese bites during the day. She also eats potato and she loves potato skins. But that's not on a regular basis.
I guess anything in excess amounts can be dangerous. Also, if your dog is lactose intolerant, or has dairy allergies than that would be an issue too.
I can see why the list can be confusing, but it can be a good guideline.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I would imagine that all the things listed are in higher doses. I wouldn't think that a couple of anything would be fatally harmful.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah had string on one of rope toys similar to the picture below; I wonder if that is what they mean.  I took it away from her when I noticed green string in her poop.

·
Registered
172 Posts
kiahsmom\";p=\"21685 said:
Kiah had string on one of rope toys similar to the picture below; I wonder if that is what they mean.  I took it away from her when I noticed green string in her poop.
I think that's exactly what they mean.  Just a day or two ago I  read an account of a Boxer who died from too greedily "devouring" his "Booda Bone" (like the one pictured in your post.).  He injested so much of the string that it wound tightly around his bowels and killed him.

AnnA

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Thank goodness she only got little pieces, there were three tennis balls on the rope toy and she was mostly interested in them.  She must think the trash can is a terrible thing, a lot of her toys go in there and never come out again  :lol:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most of them seem pretty obvious, but I figured i would post it on here for all the people who are joining and are first time dog owners.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Besides that, it seems like something is OK and then they find that it really isn't ok to feed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts