Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would LOVE to have Porter sleep on the bed with us, but I think he's still a little too crazy to be left on his own in the house.  How old was your boxer when you decided it was okay to let him/her sleep on the bed with you?  My fear is that he'd jump off during the night and destroy everything.  lol.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Re: For crate trainers... at what age do you trust your boxe

Good question..I would love to know some answers to that as well.

·
Registered
421 Posts

Well, becasue of allergy issues we probably won't ever let our dogs up (unless DH gets his own bed:). But, I would trust Lenny to be out over night now. He is 11 months, but I'm sure he was trustworthy before we got him about a month ago. The only reason I crate him at night is to keep Eddie company. Eddie I don't think will ever be ready to be alone out of his crate-EVER. But every dog is different.

·
Registered
112 Posts

I think every dog is different.  Spinx has been sleeping on a dog bed on the floor for months now, and he's only 6 months old.  I don't worry about him at night, but the most I'll leave him unattended outside the crate is for 10 minutes locked in my room.  I'm convinced I won't be able to trust him home alone til he's at least 2.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts

Does he sleep all night long or wake you up and let you know he has to go out to potty?..I cannot wait for Elyse to be able to be out at night and sleep on her pillow as well.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts

I got Kiah at 8.5 months and she has slept with me the first night and has been ever since.  Now leaving her out of the crate when I am not there, don't trust her yet.  I am going to try again around 2 years to see how she does.  Keegan has slept with me ever since I got him too.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts

Donner sleeps in his crate at night with the door open. He's been ok uncrated during the day since about 5 mo if I remember correctly. I didn't think Blitz would EVER be uncrated but about a week ago we started leaving the door open at night and she prefers a blanket/pillow on the floor by Kel. She's 7 months and still crated if we're gone more than 1 - 2 during the day, I'm afraid she'd get bored and destructive with too much time on her hands :D

·
Registered
494 Posts

We originally crated Maggie until her spay and then we worried about her (she had a bad reaction to the anesthesia) so we let her sleep with us and well then Herbie came along and how could be put him in the crate and not her, so we bought a pillow big enough for the two of them (thanks Costco), but well I guess our bed is way more comfy!!  But we do shut our bedroom door.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

Both of mine sleep with us but Lucy is still in her crate during the day while we are at work and may be there until she is 5  :lol: Sam was out after 1.5 yrs. and he does fine now. Lucy is a chewer so it may take a bit longer with her AND she is stubborn as heck! I have been working with her though, leaving her in hour increments. Her limit is 3 hours though and then she turns into a terror...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

around 8mo i started to let maverick out of his crate to sleep...most of the time he is great but a few times he decided he didnt feel like sleeping and it was playtime instead...so i put him in the crate again...i wouldnt trust him to spend the day alone until he is at least 2 but like everyone has said all pups are different.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts

Tango has started jumping on the bed lately, but we don't have him crated at night...if you're worried, how about putting a baby gate in front of the bedroom door?  That's what we do....he sleeps the night anyway, but I wouldn't trust him if he were out and about on his own!

G

·
0 Posts

Bear is still in the crate, but Binga sleeps on the floor next to us.  She has her own pillow and blanket.  We started doing that with her a few months ago.  At first we leashed her to the dresser to make sure she wouldn't wander off.  Now she doesn't move a muscle until I get up.  However on weekends if I sleep to late she is sitting in the doorway staring at me.  Like she thinks that will hurry me up.  Haha.

During the day they are both blocked off in the kitchen.  Don't trust either of them will full reign of the house.  Binga MIGHT be ok, but I don't want to find out just yet.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

Wow I can't imagine crating at night.  Why not just close the door?    From the day I got him, Oggie just curls up and goes to sleep.  After a few months he didnt' need to go out during the night.  He's never once even tried to get up to go anywhere since.  He knows its "bedtime" and its just part of his routine.  Are you guys afraid he's going to jump in the car and go out partying?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

sully\";p=\"117914 said:
Wow I can't imagine crating at night.  Why not just close the door?    From the day I got him, Oggie just curls up and goes to sleep.  After a few months he didnt' need to go out during the night.  He's never once even tried to get up to go anywhere since.  He knows its "bedtime" and its just part of his routine.  Are you guys afraid he's going to jump in the car and go out partying?
Ha!!  No... We're afraid he may tear stuff up and/or have accidents.  As for closing the door, we have two cats who wouldn't appreciate that much.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts

LOL Sully, there are NO closed doors in our house, I'd have a 4 cat demolition squad on the other side of the door taking it off it's hinges :lol: Donner just prefers his crate, always has. When we start getting ready for bed he runs in there, curls up and is asleep waay before we are!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

We had crate trained Chloe but due to her really bad plane trip she always disliked her crate but still would go in it when I left the house. Then one day I came home to see Chloe's had managed to escape and I went into instant panic mode thinking she was hurt or my house was gonna look like a tornado came thru it. But she was sound asleep on our bed! From that day on she has never been crated and never caused any destruction. Brodi goes into tasmanian devil mode when he even looks at a crate so he can't be crated and so far only a package of wee wee pads and a throw rug has been destroyed, that was my fault tho cause I thought I puppy proofed the house good enough but he proved me wrong.
Both have slept with us since day one and never have tried to jump off the bed. Once we tell them go night night they both find their spots and sleep thru the night.

·
Registered
933 Posts

I can't wait until I can stop crating Barkley at night.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts

At night I can trust Savvy and Samson to be out of the kennel and just sleep with out wandering. Reese still gets into stuff....which is funny cause her and samson are the same age  :wink: Now when we leave....well thats another story. Savvy has seperation anxiety and will poo all over the house even if she has just went, Samson will dumpster dive, and Reese will do both!! Sooo they are kenneled if needed during the day.

·
Registered
112 Posts

AzSun2006\";p=\"117873 said:
Does he sleep all night long or wake you up and let you know he has to go out to potty?..I cannot wait for Elyse to be able to be out at night and sleep on her pillow as well.
He sleeps all night (til 9am) on his bed, which is right next to my bed.  I keep the door to my room shut so he cant wander around the house, and there is not too much stuff he can destroy in my room.  Occasionally (once every two weeks) he'll get up early around 5-6 and need to be let out which he tells me by sitting by the door.  The bigger problem I have is that the booger always sneaks into my bed while I am sleeping.  I don't mind if he comes up around 7 in the morning, but lately I've been waking up around 3 and he is sleeping with all of his weight on me.  Just give it time and it will work.  I think I slept half the night on his bed with him the first night we used it.

Hope this helps,

Brian

1 - 20 of 37 Posts