Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We definitely NEED a doggy door. I feel like a valet for my pups most of the time. They are in, they are out...it's a never ending cycle..lol. The problem we are running into is that we have french doors and I do not see a way to install the door! We have been contemplating putting the doggy door in the wall. Has anyone ever done this?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I have not personally done this, but my sister has.  She has an addition on her home that has her washer and dryer and that is where she cut the hole and installed the door in the wall.  After installing it they went around it with weather type caulk (like for windows) and then placed a wood trim board around it to hide all the install work....It looks great!!!!  They have steel doors and could not find a good way to install them into the doors....

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Never put it into a wall like that, but I can tell you that once you have one, you will never do without..Best thing since sliced bread :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the fosters we are definitely going to need one! We are thinking about putting it in our garage and making a dog run along the side of the house. The garage would become doggyland..complete with couch, A/C and television. But, of course the door from the garage to the house would be open at all times.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That's what we did in Calif and it worked out great..We didn't have any cold weather really to speak of, but that way the dogs had shelter if needed :) My advice, get an X-large door, belive me, it's worth it....I think the one I got is from Petsafe, it's an Ultra, has double flaps that are magnetic..Check the sizes, different companies use different sizes...I think the one we have is 18"H by 15"L

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Mine is going into the wall. We have glass doors in our house and we have no other option because I am not getting rid of those doors.

·
Registered
139 Posts
We put one in our storm/screen door.That way we can close and lock the main door when we leave.But a dog door is the best thing wev'e ever done for our dogs!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Kalyn\";p=\"112421 said:
Do you worry about any unwanted guests coming in?
Not overly, but we took some extra precautions..I slide the barrier over the dog door at nite and then close and lock the regular door between the washroom(where doggie door is) and the rest of the house....Of course Angel has tried to drag in her "kill",,She ran down a 15 lb rabbit awhile back...I had Marq deal with that :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts