Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
my thor was 1 yr old when i got 6 mo old vetty.   many ppl do recommend waiting until they are 2 yrs old before getting another, but ours really needed dog companionship to learn how to be a dog.  he's learned alot from her and it's worked out great.

we were very patient in picking out the right dog.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I usually wait till one is anywhere from 1 year to 2 before I get the next.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Harley was 1 1/2 before we got Diablo. I gotta say, his energy level has dropped tremendously. perhaps it's because the energy is refocused...Nevertheless, they are so much fun and enjoy each other's company!

G

·
0 Posts
that's the best part about having 2!  they wear each other out instead of YOU :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Dixie was 5 when we rescued Champ.  He was around 18 months old when we got him.  He has been so good for Dixie.  She's 7 now and he keeps her active.   Not to mention how much fun it is for us watching their antics.  Two boxers = twice as much fun.  I'm so tempted to get another rescue.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Sam was 1.5 yrs when we got Lucy and she was 6 mos. old.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Tucker (terrier mix who thinks he is a boxer) was 18 months when we got Coco at 9 weeks. We have already started tossing around the idea of getting another puppy or rescue when Coco is about a year.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Maggie was 6 months old when we brought Herbie home.  It was not our original plan however, Herbie had not found a home and we thought that it would do Maggie well as our 13 year old Chow-Shepard mix really did not want to keep up with her.  On an honest note it was the best thing we had done.  They do keep each other in check.  It has been a great experience (not saying somedays I don't want to pull my hair out) but all in all they compliment each other well.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
choas2k\";p=\"107969 said:
Maggie was 6 months old when we brought Herbie home.  It was not our original plan however, Herbie had not found a home and we thought that it would do Maggie well as our 13 year old Chow-Shepard mix really did not want to keep up with her.  On an honest note it was the best thing we had done.  They do keep each other in check.  It has been a great experience (not saying somedays I don't want to pull my hair out) but all in all they compliment each other well.
Did Maggie help Herbie with "training" or just manners at all?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah was 1 yr 7mos when I got Keegan (who is right around 2).

·
Registered
522 Posts
Henry was 5 mos when we got Marx and he was just 6 weeks younger than Henry.They are great together!I thing because they were so close in age it worked really well for everybody.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Buck was about 1 1/2 when we got Tia, who was 9 mos...Samson was 10 when we got Angel at 1 1/2...If I could do it again, I would never have waited so long to get a companion for Samson, that would be my only advice to anyone considering getting a second....Don't let too many years go in betweeen

G

·
0 Posts
samsonsmom\";p=\"108036 said:
If I could do it again, I would never have waited so long to get a companion for Samson, that would be my only advice to anyone considering getting a second....Don't let too many years go in betweeen
:thumbup:   if i had listened to the 'over 2' crowd, my thor would have missed out on so much companionship and teaching by having 2.

having an 8 mo old foster boxer here, i can see that 3 is actually perfect!  you can really see the pack dynamics with 3 and how they correct, come to the rescue when they are playing to rough, hesitancy to lick the others bowl, etc.

the 3 respect each other more than just 2 :)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ekim was 5 when we got Delila, and they are like husband and wife, always together

G

·
0 Posts
our first was just under 4 months old when we got our second at 9 or 10 months old.  They do great even though both are still puppies.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts