Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 boxers, my male (Riley) is 2 and my female (Layla) is 9 months, we still crate Layla when we are not home. I wanted to start leaving them out together, any suggestions? We've left them together alone for an hour or 2 and everything has been fine I just don't know when we should leave them longer, and was just curious what other people do. TIA

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Re: For those who have 2 boxers do you let them have free ro

Well, we have family with boxers...(which is how we got our two) and even as adults, they don't leave them in alone for long periods...(they had a boxer who tore things up...granted he was a rescue...but, he would get into stuff!) at least not with the 1 year old around...so, we set up a 7.5'WX13'LX6'H foot kennel in our garage for Mic and Indy...put a HUGE sized Dogloo in there with tons of toys, etc...water, food...and if we are going to be gone for any period...and we can't take them with us(which is preferable) they go in there...gives them room to run and play more then they would otherwise, without the potential for harm...my biggest concern is the possibility for a pup to chew an electrical cord or something...messes I can clean up! :) But, honestly, we nearly ALWAYS have someone here with them, so they can be out...even with just my youngest watching they do really well!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

My goal is to some day let mine roam the house free, but right now because Sophie's so young, they basically get left either in the screened in porch or in the familyroom which I can close off from the rest of the house.  They really aren't left alone for more than half an hour at the most - just the way it works with both of us retired.  Kane is very good in the house alone, but when we add Sophie to the mix, there's nothing they won't try.  Yesterday, Sophie figured out how to open the screen door and let Kane in!!! OMG I was laughing so hard I couldn't believe she did that!!!.  True she can only do it from the inside, but I can just see coming home and finding all the animals in the neighborhood in the house when I get home with Sophie and a hundred of her closest fur friends!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts

:rofl: The visual I just had of Sophie letting in all the animals in the neighborhood, or even a squirrel or two.  Too funny!!! Smart little girl! :rofl:

·
Registered
317 Posts

I have 3 dogs, but only 1 is a boxer the other two are shelties.  Most of the time it's ok, but other times we do have a mess but it's getting better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I thought my boxer was the only one that could open the back door  =))  Riley lets them back in all the time, we have to lock it when it rains or they'd run right in soaking wet.   =))
I'm hoping one day they can be home alone together, so far so good, I guess I'll keep testing a little at a time.

·
Registered
942 Posts

We crate both of ours. Unfortunately they tend to get after each other from time to time over toys and I wouldn't want them to hurt one another (which I'm sure they wouldn't...but I'm paranoid). I tried to leave Milo alone a couple of times, the first day was all good, but he decided to pee on the carpet the second day...within 2 hours of me leaving the house. My roommate (at the time) called to tell me Milo had pee'd on the carpet. I haven't tried it again...I don't want him peeing everywhere and stinking up the house. It's not a matter of him not being able to hold it either, b/c he never messes in his kennel while we're at work.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts

Well the one question i would have for you is- is either of your boxers spayed/neutered? One issue i would have with leaving them out together is if they are both intact and should layla come into heat then riley being a boy :) could attempt to mate. I have two boxers, but both mine are female-though very similar in age to yours. Savannah is 2 and Reese is 8 month-going to be 9 months as of the 16th of this month. I dont plan on letting them ever have free roam though for a period of more than an hour. Reason being is the longer you are gone the more trouble they could get into and all it takes is one time. My thuoght is "Better safe than sorry"....  Of course i am kinda paranoid about either of the girls getting hurt!! :D

·
Registered
933 Posts

I have 2 boxers one male, one female.  I always crate mine when not home.  Unless I'm right next door and can check on them.  But I don't work so they are out most of the time.  I do leave them out at night but they are in my room and the door stays shut so they can't roam around the house...who knows what they would get in to... :roll:

·
Registered
780 Posts

I think it will really depend on your boxers and how they act.   When we had three boxers (all female) we left them with free roam of the house whenever we left BUT they were well behaved and didn't really get into anything when we were home either.  They knew what they were allowed to play with and what was off limits, if your boxers still get into things even when you are home it might not be a good idea, if they are very well behaved all the time you probably won't have any trouble with them.  We started out gradually with ours.  Calli was our first and nearly our last.....she got into EVERYTHING, shoes, couch cushions, books, etc. and went on the floor.  She was still young when this was happening so our vet recommended a cage for her.  The difference in her was night and day, the cage really helped alot and we left her in it until she was able to be left out a little at a time while we were gone.  She was about 2 before we would leave her out completely on her own.....the only thing she did then was sleep on the couch (which she wasn't allowed to do when we were there).   We did the same with the other boxers as we added them, our next was a rescue and she was about 1 when we got her.  We also crate trained her and then gradually left her out with Calli a little at a time until we could trust her.  If she did anything bad when we were gone we made sure she knew what she did when we came home (and she ALWAYS knew when she had been bad....little stinker would hide).  :D    Then we added Teaki as a puppy, it was again about two years before we let her roam the house with the other two.   We never had any trouble with the three out alone, the only thing they did (and this was only if we forgot to pick it up) was eat the cat food out of the cats dish!  The three of them got along very well and there was about 5 years span between Calli and Bereykely and about 4 year span between Berkeley and Teaki.

We now have Teaki (6yrs) and Ziggi (1 1/2) and Teaki always has free roam of the house.  Ziggi is still caged until we are fully able to trust him.  He is left out for short periods of time when we are gone or outside and does great so each time we try to add more time that he is out while we are gone until we are fully able to trust him.

None of our boxers have ever chewed on power cords, etc. or gotten into anything that would hurt them.

·
Registered
73 Posts

I crate both of my girls if I am leaving.  It is the safest place for them (and the house!) :D  Also, our alarm system has motion detectors, so if the girls were to roam free, the alarm company would go batty.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

With my first 2, Buck & Tia after they got past the puppy stage they had free roam, especially when we were licing in Ireland, I needed to know that they would not be outside in the rain....And at that time I hadn't ever used a crate before...Samson, my rescue old man, I had to crate for months due to his separation anxiety, once he got ok, he was allowed free roam..Angel we still crate, cos to be honest I just don't trust that clown... :lol: I'm hoping there will come a time when she won't have to be crated tho..It's all in knowing your babies and how they will act really......Kate I am laughing like crazy at the thought of Sophie letting all the wildlife in your house....Oh my....

·
Registered
3 Posts

I own two boxers male and a female..mine get the run of the house and garden..even when i have to go out neither are crated..although my girl is spayed..i would never leave them unattended if one wasnt spayed..

·
Registered
343 Posts

LOL Hazel opens the screen door from inside too!!!! its soo cute

1 - 14 of 14 Posts