Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much water is yours drinking? How often?

I am concerned how much Harleigh's thirst has gone up in the last couple weeks or so. She drinks her bowl dry at 2-3 times a night, sometimes I will have filled it a 4th time but doesn't drink that dry. And this is in a 4 hour period. Is this normal? I have read up on what excessive thirst can mean and I admit, I start thinking cray thoughts.

She goes out to go potty like every half hour. SO annoying, yet she can hold it all day while I am at work.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Re: For those who have a 4-5 month old...and others for advi

How big is her bowl? How many cups is she drinking?  IS she active at night, maybe?
Min would drink a big stainless steel mixing bowl dry everyday, sometimes 1.5 bowls.
Now that I feed raw I hardly ever see them drink!

G

·
0 Posts

Bruce used to be like that a few months back.  Every half hour you would look for any sign of him looking towards the door to go out.  He's slowed down on the water consumption.  Then again, when he gets home from daycare, he tends to drink a ton.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I suppose that info is needed, huh? :signduh:

Her bowl is a 24 oz bowl so 3 cups. So she is drinking about 6-9 cups in a 4 hour period. Just seems like alot. I know she is growing and all but her stool is pretty loose (and someone mentioned that she is obviously getting enough water) but is she perhaps getting TOO much water?

·
Registered
6,026 Posts

Does she drink a lot during the day or just at night?
Henry drinks more at night because he's more active in the evening.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

She probably doesn't have access to water if she is crated during the day either (so they won't drink and then have to potty in the crate).  So she is doing all her water consumption in a short period of time and not throughout the day.
If she is going to the bathroom normally, and not in the house or having accidents I would say it is normal.  If you still feel like something isn't right, or she has accidents when she normally wouldn't it could be a UTI or something and need a vet visit.

·
Registered
422 Posts

Have you had a fecal test run on her lately?  Just a thought but coccidia will sometimes cause excessive thirst.  That would also explain the loose stool.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

They have done a fecal and said she is good.

She is crated and therefore isn't getting water throughout the day. Do others water their dogs in their crate? Should I figure something out?

Also due to being crated during the day she has much energy to blow when I get home. We go for a walk, let her play in the backyard, we play inside. She pretty much is non stop until bedtime. So I suppose that would make anyone thirsty. She never has any accidents in the house. But she did slip up this morning which I found to be odd. She rang her bell as I was brushing my teeth so I had to finish. I put some socks on and by the time I got to the door she had already had an accident. So much for learning how to hold it huh? I was very surprised.

·
Registered
880 Posts

Oscar drinks a ton of water too!  He is also crated during the day.  I fill their water dish (a big one) at least three times a day.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Since Oscar is crated he doesn't get water right? Just want to make sure this is correct thing to do. I don't see a way to water them while being crated.

·
Registered
880 Posts

They don't get water while crated, Oscar and Jetta just sleep while I'm gone.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

Maple didn't used to drink much, but then we bought a fountain thing and now she drinks quite a bit, especially after she's been playing, it's hard to measure with a fountain, but i'd say she gets about 4-5 cups a day.  If Harleigh does all her water drinking in the evening it's probably normal, does she drink any water in the morning?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

If you couldn't drink anything all day, you'd drink all you could at night too.....

Someone really needs to come by during the day to give water.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

[quote="maplesfolks\";p=\"97409":1z651mef]Maple didn't used to drink much, but then we bought a fountain thing and now she drinks quite a bit, especially after she's been playing, it's hard to measure with a fountain, but i'd say she gets about 4-5 cups a day.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

Is it really such a crazy theory that she isn't getting enough regular water, so she overcompensates when it's readily available?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Nope, but a loose stool to boot may have reasons for concern. Thank you! Just a concerned dog owner here. No need to get snippy.

All I was wondering is if the amount that she was drinking was normal.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

You could also get a small attachable water bottle to hang in her cage, maybe just put a small amount in it as she still isn't totally house broken I assume? Because you have her crated all day, and then when you get home, play, walk etc, the amount she is drinking really isn't that out of line

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thank you Willow. That was that answer I was looking for as far as the amount being ok. I was thinking about buying some type of rodent water bottle to help ease the thirst through out the day. Wasn't sure if anyone else has done that. I will look into that.

Again, Thank you!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

Generally people don't provide water while in the crate so that puppies won't drink a lot and then have to go to the bathroom.  I am not sure what most people do who are gone for extended periods though.
Last summer when it was hot and humid I got Felix a rabbit water bottle and attached it to the outside of the crate, he could drink a little bit during the day, but not so much to make his bladder full.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I think I will do that. Plus it may be a fun lil thing for her to do to help pass the time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts