Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two play VERY rough and get very loud sometimes, growling, etc. Well, a couple of days ago they were playing and it escalated into a fight (hackles raised, etc). I interjected by walking over to them saying loudly "hey, settle down". I had to say it twice (I don't think they even heard me the first time) but they did and then acted like What Mom, it was no big deal...Neither had a scratch on them and it appeared to be more of a mouthing type of thing but it was a fight for sure. I know from reading that I should watch the play because sometimes it can escalate like that - has anyone else had that happen? Now I am wondering if I should have interjected like that or let them work it out. I just get so nervous due to past experiences I had when I had two females-a GD and a boxer - I am worried that one will hurt the other.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My two boxers play pretty rough at times never grawl but make this high pitched star wars chewbacca noises, with there mouths open fake biting. When it get to rough we yell settle and they calm down. I would always intervene whenever you think it is neccessary becuase you are in the top dog spot!
My boxers hair raises on there backs but, they never get to aggressive. It's just poor Moose is to slow and clomsie to keep up with Sasha as she runs circles around him. Moose is 8 months and Sasha is 2 yrs.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Now that Cassie has started to actually play with Fiona, it sometimes seems to get out of hand....it is mainly when Cassie is over it and Fiona does not understand stopping when she is over it.....Both times I did the same thing.....Raised my voice and said "GIRLS STOP"....they stopped and went and laid down....which is what Cassie wanted to start with.....I think it is alot of hippo mouth play and sounds worse then it is...but I usually put an end to it if I know one of them has had enough......

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
My two sound like there killing eachother sometimes.  Main injuries will be a little hair loss of both Charlie and Sadie's ears.  If they get really bad, I'll get the fly swatter and hit the table, that usually gets there attention, followed by them getting a timeout in there crate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rowdy and Casey go at it sometimes. If someone else heard them they would think that they're really fighting. I think it scares my neighbors sometimes. However, they quit when I call them down.. all I have to say is simmer and they know to stop. Sometimes they have some scuff marks from all that rough play, but I dont think they are really trying to hurt each other. It's weird, but they never try to play that rough with other dogs..just each other.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine are the same way! They play really rough with each other but with other dogs they are not like that. I am glad to hear my two aren't the only ones who get into the occasional tiff.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
hmmm :think: mine so far havent got out of hand. My brothers dog marx likes to mouth alot to savvy and reese, but it luckily has never escalated or sounded that way.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
hmmm :think: mine so far havent got out of hand. My brothers dog marx likes to mouth alot to savvy and reese, but it luckily has never escalated or sounded that way.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Oh yes, my two definitely start fighting once in awhile. It's always Prada going over the top during play (she never knows when to quit) & Nico doesn't put up with it. I definitely interfere... it's just one more thing that cements your place in the pack. You're top dog. I'm sure they would work things out themselves, but who wants to see/hear that? They can get downright rough sometimes -- injuries aren't necessary! I usually say, "ENOUGH!" I never use their names, b/c I don't believe their names should ever be used in a negative way. Be short & to the point. If they don't listen, then a firm touch should be used (NOT a hit).

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
My two play rough with each other but usually not other dogs.  Since they are so loud I will usually yell "Settle" and clap my hands a couple of times and they will settle down.  I have never seen them really fight, they just get wild.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Buck and Tia got like that a couple times and I had to step in to break it up...No hard feeling they started kissing each other and me..So far I have broken up Flick & Angel a couple times as well...You know your dogs, if it seems like it's getting out of control, definitely it's best to step in..And yea, sometimes they don't hear you right away, just stay calm and keep repeating their names..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts