Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is the story.
about 2 weeks ago; i was petting my boxer, Lucy, who is 2 years old.
By her chest i found this rather large lump; after freaking out and crying for an hour; i called the vet and took her that morning.
The vet was a bit concerned b/c she is a boxer and they are prone to cancer; so he took an aspirate (took cells to look at) and realized her red blood cells seemed abnormal.  SO they sent her cells away to the lab...after being on pins and needles and crying...about a week later; we got the lab results....the results were VAGUE. The Vet interpreted the results as some form of benign tumor....and a kind that wouldn't likely spread.  He still wanted to take the lump out.  So we scheduled for her to have surgery last MOnday.  Well...over the weekend; her lump went from golf ball size to a pea...and i took her on Monday anyways and the vet didn't want to operate.  so now we are just supposed to "watch" the size of the lump and call if anything changes....but i'm still so concerned; we still have no answers...were the lab results wrong?? is it NOT cancer???
Has anyone had any experience with anything like this with their boxer??
Does anyone have any thoughts, comments, advice??? I'm going crazy over here...
I think we are going to get a 2nd opinion but just wondering if anyone has gone through this that may be able to add some insight???
Thanks so much..
Lucy's mom, Megan :  :cry:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I think I would get your lab results and seek another opinion. I've never dealt with something like this, but I would feel better with another opinion. Please keep us posted on Lucy. Good Luck with everything.  :wink:

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I agree with tootsie. Ask them to transfer/fax those results to the doctor you're going to see. Then talk to them and tell them everything that's been going on.  I too haven't had this problem. I can understand why you're worried I would be also. Just try and stay calm and hopefully the second opinion will be better or at least help you figure out what's going on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our 9 year old, Sydney, has had issues with lumps as well.  She's had a couple removed, and has had many come and go.  What our vet told us, was that if the lump didn't feel attached, that is, if you could move it around in the skin, there's not near as much cause for worry as if it were attached to muscle.  I don't know how that works, but it seems to have been correct in Sydney's case.  She'll develop these lumps, and they'll go away.  One of them began bleeding at one point, but it went away on its own...just before it was to have been removed...

I agree that I'd be more comfortable with another opinion...with Sydney, we got 3 different vet's opinions...they all agreed...

Much luck!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Sometimes they can be fatty deposits and with massaging can break up and disappear on their own.  Hopefully this is all that it was.  A friend of mine had this happen just recently to her boxer.  I would continue to monitor it and make sure it doesn't change.  Good luck and try a cleansing deep breath!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts