Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While searching for the Wubba last night, I came across a toy that bragged about being "battle tested"...kept looking for mention of tigers but didn't see any...so I thought maybe this was different and could actually stand up to Bruce's favorite game - tug-o-war....tried it out last night and he really liked it and to my surprise it held up to his yanking me around the living room.

http://bamboopet.com/all_products/detai ... 67&nID=2z5

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I've seen that but was hesitant to buy it because Lola destroys EVERYTHING!  You'll have to let us know how it holds up!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I am very interested too...it says they have it at the pet stores by me, but I have never seen that.  I will have to check again.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had never seen it before either, just lucked out while trying to find a Wubba...it definitely didn't jump out at me.  

I will keep y'all updated on how it holds up.  Bruce isn't the type to tear his toys apart, but he does love to tug and as strong as boxers are, nothing holds up to him pulling on it, except some ropes but he doesn't care for those.  So far I'm impressed, might even try the bone shaped one if this one holds up.  I'll keep ya posted!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I'm not a fan of tug toys.  Too many people come over and play tug with the dog like he's a crocodile.  I can just see him losing a tooth or something.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured if Bruce wants to play tug so badly, the least I can do is find him a toy that will allow him to do so.  Of course I don't have a stream of people playing tug with him...pretty much just us and once in awhile a 4 legged friend.  

Now that I think about it I don't think I'd let someone else play tug with him, I've apparently got some issues about not only knowing how to do it safely but also training concerns, don't want him thinking everything is a game of tug

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yeah I'd suggest hiding the tug toys when people come over.  I find some people get offended when I tell them not to play tug or try to teach them how to do it properly.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow that must be annoying!  My biggest problem with other people is them trying to give him people food...other than that I haven't had any problems

·
Registered
491 Posts
Luther would DETROY that...   To this day, I still can not find a toy he wont KILL.  I tried tuffies #10...killed it...

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
:roll: mine have destroyed everything also..as far as toys go..they play tug with eachother..and whatever it is its GONE...lol

i never let anyone else play tug with them..and i know what you mean Sully..people get offended :roll: like you are saying something so outlandish and stood there calling them stupid lol..i dont care though Isis & Onyx are such good well behaved dogs i dont want anything to ruin that....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that is the main reason why I wouldn't let someone play tug with him....boxers have their own training challenges that most people I've met just don't understand.  Almost all of my friends are dog people and get the safety aspect but they don't understand how a simple game of tugging can result in behavior problems if you don't handle it right.  Bruce is a great dog and I'm very proud of how he behaves, but I know that it doesn't take much for that to change..  Not saying he'd turn into a monster but simple things like the drop command can turn into a game of chase and tug or jumping up to grab something out of someone's hand...in his mind it'd be a game and I'd be left having to correct him and it wouldn't be fair to him.

Not sure if I'm expressing this right...some of it sounds a bit snooty I think but that's not my intention...I had never thought about it before because as far as I can remember no one has ever tried to play it with him, so I'm still trying to make sense out of it....all I know is I have no intention of correcting my baby because of a problem someone else caused if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
after spending about 8 hours playing with his new toy over the weekend, I can tell you that if your boxer is the type to destroy their toys this one won

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol, ooppsssss, had to laugh at what happened to the tug toy

G

·
0 Posts
that is a good sounding toy what was it's name? Where did you find it? One my boys eats everything and cant find something he cant destroy in an hour.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol, yeah cracked me up...it's boxer-proof so far but I guess it's not hubby-proof....on the bright side he was able to get the rope back through the ball so it's fixed now

I found the toy at Petsmart, but I don't see it on their site - it's made by Bamboo Pet adn called a Toss n Pull Dog Toy

·
Registered
320 Posts
So far, this toy has lasted 8 months.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts