Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the vet today for a couple of vacinations and also to have a cut on snooze's ear looked at and low and behold what did they find was the problem for the cut.....

A fox tail inside his ear with a possible ruptured ear drum.

Apparently he got the fox tail in his ear which causes him to shake his head alot and so hard that he has busted up the point of his ear which cause it to bleed and scab and it won't heal cause he keeps shaking his head which busts the scab open.

So "lucky" me it will "only" cost $350 to fix, below is the bill and what's needed and included.

I was curious has anyone had this happen to their pups or had a similar procedure done for removal of wax balls or other items in ear and if so is everything they are calling for or charging for normal or necessary? As Well as I have heard bad things about anesthesia in boxers, will snooze be okay?!?!?!

Anesthesia - Inhalent Per Minute (20 minutes) - 21$
Propofol - $60
LAB PAP/CBC in house - $60
Prpofol - Pre Anesthesia Medications - $105
Ear Treatment - $30.50
IV Catheter W/ Anesthesia (incl. fluid) - $58.00
Synotic Ear Solution - $15.00
Total Cost with tax - 335.50
Sorry I'm freaking out as this is the first thing I have ever had to do for sooze more major than shots.... :(

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
That bill doesn't sound excessive to me for the procedure. Anaesthesia is ok for Snooze but you must state to your vet you DO NOT want Aceprozamine used. Boxers do not tolerate this sedative - IT CAN KILL!!! If your vet uses that - walk away and find another one. A better drug which boxers do tolerate will add more to your bill but it's worth it to have your boxer come out alive at the end of any op. Prayers everything goes well with Snooze! [-O< [-O<

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I am sorry. That sounds quite painful. The bill doesn't look bad but really make sure you let me know NO ACE!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Foxtails can be very dangerous for animals, we don't have them here in the south, but I know in Calif they are a big problem..The bill looks ok, the pre anesthesia looks good, just stress to your vet not to use ACE. I have it noted in both of mine's charts and also across the front of their chart as well..Here's a link, make a copy and take it with you to the vet, if he hems and haws about using it, I'd find another vet, it can kill your Boxer

acepromazine-t1514.html

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ouch...is the foxtail already out? Usually when dogs get these my Dr. operates stat so it doesn't continue to travel. Oh and that is a really good price for all that...lucky you :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts