Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i was sitting on the couch with Layla and Chance and when rubing Layla i noticed a lump the size of a walnut on the back of her neck between her shoulders. It moves around and is squishy. I called the vet and he said that sometimes happens at the site of injection for shots....Said he will see her tomorrow but he doesnt think it is anything to worry about. She got her shots last Thurs. Does this happen often??? I am scared!!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I honestly don't know but one of the admins was saying that they rather give shots in the thigh now instead of the neck because they are finding that the thigh is a better site.  You can find it in my "shots" thread.  I hope she's ok, and will be thinking of her.  Let us know *hugs*

·
Registered
94 Posts
That happened to Gus when the vet did his shots in his shoulder , he got a lump just like that.
Keep and eye on it, they used the wrong size needle (probably) and watch so that is does not abcess (it could)..
I had the vet use a different needle and different location on his next round of shots and never had a problem after that. But the spot in his shoulder has gone down but not completely yet and its been 4 months.. but no abcess.
Hope all goes well..

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i am taking her to the ER vet right now...will let you know when i get back. It doesnt bother her but it bothers me

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i just got back from ER vet...thank God they are right down the road from me and werent busy! It is just a reaction from the shot, They said to rub it a few times a day to break it up and it could take up to 3 weeks for it to go away or even longer. So thank goodness. I feel so much better!!!!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thank god shes alright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cant tell you how Happy I am it wasnt anything serious!!!!!!!!! give all three of the cutieeees big kisses from me!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awwwwwwww thanks so much. I appreciate so much how everyone on here cares so much!!! You guys are all so great!!!!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
So glad to hear she is OK, hugs and kisses from Kiah and me.

·
Registered
343 Posts
lol, I know, this is such a great place! like when i was looking for my second baby, everyone was so great and helped me so much. this place rules!!!!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Glad to hear everything is okay!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Glad she is okay!  Ours have also had that type of lump after getting shots.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Tami.....I am not part of Admin but, it was me that had posted about giving shots on the rear more now then the shoulder. (as Taymickey said)

Let me see if I can explain what happens without making it totally confusing.....What will happen is when the vaccinations are drawn they are in a two part vial.  So they stick the needle/syringe into the liquid vial and draw it out then stick it in the powder vial and combine....then draw it back out of the second vial to have "the shot"....Of course after all this sticking the needle through the rubber of the vials they are dull.

The needle should be changed to a "fresh/new" one before the shot is given and sometimes techs/vets forget to do that.  That in itself will sometimes cause it.  A "burr" needle being forced through the skin.

Next time you go for shots just tell them what happened and ask for them to be sure to place a new needle on 22g is plenty big enough and give it on the hips/flank area instead.

Sorry so long..........................Glad he is okay!!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Glad to hear that is was nothing serious with Layla....Sharon, thank you for explaining how this happens..

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sorry Sharon, I thought I saw your name in red in that other thread lol.  Thanks for explaining it more.

Tami, I'm so glad your baby is ok.  You had me worried.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Sharon....i will remind the vet again of what happened. I did call him last night and he was the one that told me what happened. But i will have to make sure he doesnt give her shot there anymore. I totally freaked out because it is the size of a walnut. Feels really huge on such a little baby. Doesnt bother her at all though. It really bothers me. Cant wait til it goes away!!!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
TamiNChance\";p=\"23544 said:
Thanks Sharon....i will remind the vet again of what happened. I did call him last night and he was the one that told me what happened. But i will have to make sure he doesnt give her shot there anymore. I totally freaked out because it is the size of a walnut. Feels really huge on such a little baby. Doesnt bother her at all though. It really bothers me. Cant wait til it goes away!!!
That is VERY common for people to freak out when finding lumps so dont feel bad. :) I do that myself.  My last dog Jazz had cancer and I would freak every time I found a lump and they could be corn size :)

Giving it in the hip area is not a sure fire way to prevent them either, but it does seem to help.  They main thing is that needle!!!!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Im glad shes ok!! Roxy use to get them all the time after her shots!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts