Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little concerned with Freddie at the moment. He's perfectly fine, running around, glossy coat, lively, happy etc etc but his stools are soft to loose edging on diarrhoea at times. He goes about 4-5 times a day at present and doesn't produce any of what I would call solid stools.

He's now 16 months old and I think he may be teething (is that about the right age?)

We're feeding him on Arden Grange Lamb and Rice at the moment and giving him James Wellbeloved Treats. We also gave him a bit of pro-biotic natural yoghurt with his two meals of the day but have stopped that in the past couple of days to see if that was the cause.

Now Freddie has never really had what I would call good solid stools and therefore we've tried him on a number of different foods throughout his time with us. What I don't want to keep on doing is chopping and changing foods because I feel we'll never get to the main cause of his loose stools.

His main food has the following:
Lamb Meal* (min 30%), Whole Grain Rice (min 26%), Whole Grain Maize, Chicken Fat*, Beet Pulp, Dried Brewers Yeast, Egg Powder, Fish Meal*, Linseed, Fish Oil*, Minerals, Vitamins, Nucleotides, Prebiotic FOS, Prebiotic MOS, Cranberry Extract, Chondroitin Sulphate, Glucosamine Sulphate, MSM, Yucca Extract. * Preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract

His treats have the following:
Rice, fresh white fish, tomato, potato, olive oil, potato protein, fish oil, mixed herbs, D, L- methionine, lysine hydrochloride.

Any help would be much appreciated before we finally decide to take him to the vets.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What I also forgot to mention is that in the past week we've reduced the amount of food we're feeding him - because we thought a) it was a little too much and b) that that could be causing the loose stools. So instead of the 450g per day we're now giving him 370g per day (Arden Grange indicate between 329-365g per day for a 25-30kg dog - Freddie is 26kg)

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
The food sounds good to me.  Usually lamb and rice based food is a good one to use to firm up a poo.  I think the decrease in amount is OK, as long as he doesn't loose weight.  (he is soooo cute, btw! :wink: )  At 16 months of age, he is finished with teething.  My Henry will poo 3 - 4 times a day, so 4 - 5 doesn't seem too odd.  Yogurt is good, but should only be given once a day, 1 teaspoon only, about 5 grams.  Some people on here use canned (tinned) pumpkin to help firm up poo.  Plain pumpkin, not the pie filling, can be given in the same amount as the yogurt.  It never worked for Henry though.
We recently had a bout of loose poo due to a food switch.  We finally setteled on a food made for sensetive stomach, based in salmon and potato, and have loved the results.  I know another food switch is not what you wanted, but unless there is something medically wrong, that is the only thing I know to tell you.
Good luck and keep us posted. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zhanna\";p=\"109893 said:
At 16 months of age, he is finished with teething.
Thanks for the post - I actually just remembered that Freddie is 14 months and not the 16 months I originally said so I don't think his teething is finished just yet.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Teething is done at a much younger age.  My last dog, Rocky, finished teething at 10 months, and vet said that was late.  Henry finished by 6 or 7 months.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
i thought pups teethed quite early, perhaps im wrong. Do you have purina products in england? I ask only because a lot of the people on the forum whose dogs have had loose stools have found great results using the sensitive stomachs formula...probably the one Zhanna is talking about? I do believe they have mentioned salmon and brown rice formula or something along those lines. Another suggestion is that maybe he has some sort parasite? worms? I would give the tinned pumpkin a go though and see if that works at all first. good luck!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Donya\";p=\"109901 said:
i thought pups teethed quite early, perhaps im wrong. Do you have purina products in england? I ask only because a lot of the people on the forum whose dogs have had loose stools have found great results using the sensitive stomachs formula...probably the one Zhanna is talking about? I do believe they have mentioned salmon and brown rice formula or something along those lines. Another suggestion is that maybe he has some sort parasite? worms? I would give the tinned pumpkin a go though and see if that works at all first. good luck!
Yeah, it's my mum that thinks he's teething - I'm not so sure - I'll attempt to get in his mouth later on when he's a bit dozy! The pumpkin could be tricky as I've never seen that in the supermarkets here in England - again, I'll have a look out for that one too. It's always really tricky changing over foods because it could be that that's causing it as well as the actual food - it'd be great if I could try him out on one thing for a couple of days and then switch but I think that would do more harm than good.

I thought the Lamb and Rice was also a good food for sensitive stomachs. It's a very tricky one to figure out!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Any food switch should be done slowly and gradually.  We usually spread a food change out over 4 - 6 weeks to let his tummy get used to the new food without causing upset.  (bear with me, it's 4:50 am here)  The first week, leave out 1/4 cup of the old food, add in 1/4 cup of the new food, about 60 grams(?).  Each week, add a little more new food, a little less old, till the old is gone and he's on the new.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Took me ages to find a food that didnt go straight through Zulu, tried Burns A&G and JW and a few others. I go to a dog food warehouse up by Heathrow Airport, dont know if your near it but they stock Skinners rough and ready.

The only reason i heard of it was because the owner of the warehouse has a Boxer and he recommended it. =D>
Zulu had solid poo's within a week for the first time in ages and he's been on it now for over 2 years.  :D Its got little fish oil pellets in too and you'll notice the difference with the coat within weeks aswell. Sure if you google it there will be  a stockist near you if you wanted to give it a go.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
zulu\";p=\"109910 said:
Took me ages to find a food that didnt go straight through Zulu, tried Burns A&G and JW and a few others. I go to a dog food warehouse up by Heathrow Airport, dont know if your near it but they stock Skinners rough and ready.
That sounds very interesting - it's also incredibly cheap - isn't it a little too cheap? I'm always really dubious of products that are cheap?! Here it is on the Skinners website and here it is for sale at

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
I was also a bit worried at first that i wasnt paying over 30 pounds for a bag, i always thought the more it cost the better it was but proved not the case with Zulu, suppose it depends on your dog and what suits their system.  #:-S

The food brilliant and when you first open the bag the texture of the food is amazing, its quite moist and smells lovely, and there is not one scrap left at breakfast and dinner time.
:thumbup:

Oh and the price of the food is bumped up caus i add forthglade packets to it which are about 80p a packet each, its got a Boxer on the front too. :D
My place the food is 22.00 for 20kgs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[quote="zulu\";p=\"109947":3odcrfpx]I was also a bit worried at first that i wasnt paying over 30 pounds for a bag, i always thought the more it cost the better it was but proved not the case with Zulu, suppose it depends on your dog and what suits their system.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
I know id never heard of it before either.

Natures Forthglade is packets of pure meat, they do about 8 different flavours and Zulu absolutly loves it. I always put something in the food, i knows its a complete food but it must be quite boring to have nothing in it, so i add that or cook up some liver or something just so he gets a variety in there. Spoilt rotten!!!! :love:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Maize is corn and that can cause allergies (also wheat), if you can find a fish based food that is grainless that might help to firm up the poo.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kiahsmom\";p=\"109975 said:
Maize is corn and that can cause allergies (also wheat), if you can find a fish based food that is grainless that might help to firm up the poo.
They do also do this Salmon and Rice and Duck and Rice which sound good to me?

With regards to changing the food over - which I'd imagine will be a bit of trial and error - do I have to go and get a 15kg bag to see if the food is the cause or could it be a shorter timespan to know if it's been the food which has caused his loose stools? I'm reluctant in buying such a huge quantity of food only to find out that that wasn't the problem... I'm confused!

·
Registered
48 Posts
First.......at 14 months teething is completed.

I had the same problem with Isis when I first got her @ 3 months.  She finally started pooping solid by 6 months.  I was going crazy trying to figure out what the problem was.  I took her to the vet, she had no worms, and he prescribed a pill that would help make her stool solid.  That worked, but then she started going soft again.  I started switching foods (which made it worse), stopped wetting her dry food, did not give her wet food at all, and still...soft.  I read a post in a forum that cottage cheese helps the digestive system, and also is good for the bones.  I gave it a shot, and it worked!  Her stool has been fine ever since (even if I don't give her cottage cheese).  

I feed my dog 1 cup dry mixed with 2 scoops of oatmeal in the morning, and then 2 cups dry mixed with 2 small scoops of cottage cheese, and sliced apples in the eve.

She generally poops 4-5 times a day as well.  I can't wait until she's older and only goes twice a day :)

Check for worms in the stool, that can cause loose stool.  When in doubt, call the Vet.

Rob

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Think its all about trial and error without causing too much distruption to your doggies system. Boxers have such sensitive stomachs.

Just have a read of the labels when your looking into foods, the first ingrediant will always be the most and as the list goes down it means theres less of it, so if you only get to the good stuff at the end of an ingrediant list i wouldnt use it personally caus its probably packed full of bulking ingrediants and not containing too much good nutrients that your Boxer needs.
(only know that caus i got the ins and outs from our vet once when he was trying to get me to buy science plan :lol: )

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Ohhhh Isis gorgeous, havent seen a pic of this one before and i think she is a stunner! :D

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I use a Salmon and brown rice food, which has worked well for Kiah.  I would buy a smaller bag of the food but remember to switch slowly.  First week 1/4 new food and the rest current food; next week 1/2 new and so on.  That way it gives there tummies a gradual change.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts