Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Freddie has a couple of spots that he's always scratching - not constantly but more than I think is normal.

I've attached a picture and pointed out the two spots that he seems to scratch the most. I've had a good look at his skin and can't find any signs of fleas or anything unusual. His fur is also okay and he's not scratching to the point of removing his fur - which is good, but I'd like it if he didn't have to scratch at all!

We used to use Bob Martin Flea Treatment but he was scratching then and took him to the vets and they advised us to use Advantage Flea Treatment but that doesn't seem to have solved the issue.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Newt loves to itch too, around the neck. I have noticed she does this more in the dry air. I have now started using this Oatmeal shampoo which seems to give her some relief. I dont bathe her all the time either. If this keeps happening the vet can do an allergy test on your baby to find out whats going on. Does he get a lot of playtime? Sounds odd but I knew a dog who used to just scratch when he was bored. Try the simple stuff first.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote="48Dodge\";p=\"83804":3elimcau]A couple common problems are food allergies and bathing too often.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now, I've been trying to think just what on earth it could be that's making him itch... I've read that Maize is a common allergen in boxers - could it possibly be that? We're currently feeding him on Arden Grange Lamb and Rice where Maize is third on the list of ingredients.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Maize...fancy word for corn...could very possibly be the root of your problem.
Was this a recent switch or something he's been on for a long time?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He seems to be scratching more now than usual. To be honest we've been changing his food every month for the past 4 months so maybe now I should try to stick to a couple of foods and attempt to find the root cause of his itching. Very tricky. The only trouble is when you buy 15kg bags of food!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Just a thought but have you tried switching your laundry soap?....if he sleeps in your bed or lays down on something you have washed with a certain laudry soap he may have developed an allergy to it...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GabysDaddy\";p=\"84246 said:
Just a thought but have you tried switching your laundry soap?....if he sleeps in your bed or lays down on something you have washed with a certain laudry soap he may have developed an allergy to it...
Umm, interesting - hadn't thought of that - he does sleep on my bed at nights but I'm off to Cape Town for 6 weeks on Wednesday so the folks won't be letting him on my bed so it could be interesting to see what happens when I'm away.

I think it's all a bit of trial and error to be honest  :?

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Trial and error for sure.  I would suggest changing the detergents you use on the laundry and regular house hold cleaning products.  Would also stick to one type of food for 6 months or so, unless it is making him sick.  And maybe add a little fish oil to the food.  Maybe his skin just needs a little extra moisture.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Oh, and have a safe trip! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts