Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, was wondering if someone could give us a little input on how many shots we need to give Weezer.  He is now 10 weeks old and has had one shot @ the local Petsmart, I believe he recieved the Distemper Parvo shot.

One thing that was odd to me was that the Petsmart Vet told us that he needed shots every 3 weeks until he is 4 months old.  Everyone that I've talked to thinks its a bit overkill.  What do you guys think??  Besides the Parvo, what other shots does he need to receive??  This our first time raising a pup, any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks.

Alan / Trish & Weezer

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I am not sure it has been a long time since I have had a puppy, but I believe there are a series of puppy shots that they need.  Someone who has a puppy will respond.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Puppies usually get 3 rounds of shots, so that sounds about right. Distemper, parvo, dewormer/heartworm, and then rabies are the big ones.  Rabies shots are sometimes given in stages.  I'd also ask for the kennel cough if you're going to do puppy classes or daycare, and lyme disease shot if ticks are a problem in your area.  It's also good to ask questions and make sure the puppy is developing properly so frequent visits are definitely not overkill.  Someone else can probably explain the vaccination schedule better than I can.

G

·
0 Posts
Lets see...

Jetta got a perseries shot at 6 weeks...first booster of parvo/distemper/lapora(sp) and coronavirus at 8...2nd booster at 11...and her final booster and rabies at 14 weeks old...so it is close to 4 months...Jetta did start a little early as she was weaned a little faster than recommended (got her at 6 weeks)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hey bud,

Pretty much the same schedule as the others for Koa. He had a puppy vaccination at 6 weeks and then started his parvo/distemper series at week 9, week 11, and now scheduled for week 15.  He'll also get his rabies at that time as well.  Almost ready for the real world!  Hahaha...

Sharon might be able to give you a little more info too...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks alot guys, I appreciate the advice.  

Thanks Nexu for that schedule, that clears a lot of things up.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Check out the latest guidelines from the AAHA -
http://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocuments/ ... evised.pdf

Parvo, distemper, adenovirus and rabies are the only vaccines considered "core" - recommended for all dogs.  Lepto and bordatella are only for specific, "as needed" situations; coronavirus and giardia are not recommended at all.

The number of puppy shots given is not really important - what's important is that one is given after maternal immunity wears off.  The problem, of course, is that this happens at a different time for different puppies, and so a series of shots are given to cover the typical time range; however one vaccine after 12 weeks of age will protect the vast majority of dogs (probably for life, actually).  The typical time between puppy shots is 3-4 weeks - IMO four is better.  At 10 weeks, the next series would be given at 14 weeks and should be adequate; you'd give rabies then at 18 weeks (or later), and then if you decide to give boosters, the first would be one year later (I would still separate the distemper-parvo from the rabies by four weeks or more, personally) and then every three years.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Brutus got his 1st at 6 weeks 2nd at 8 weeks and will be getting his last this week 10 weeks.The vet says rabies at 14 weeks.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree it is a little different between vets and of course depends on what age the pups are started on vaccinations since it is done mostly between 6 and 8 weeks.....But, the schedule I used for Fiona is this:

Parvo, distemper and adenovirus first shot (7 weeks)
Parvo, distemper and adenovirus booster 3 weeks later (10 weeks) with injected bordetella
Parvo, distemper, adenovirus, Lepto and Rabies (14 weeks)
I dont vaccinate for giardia or coronavirus at all.
Then Fiona had a booster of Parvo, distemper and adenovirus at 18 weeks (only because of my major exposure to sick dogs at work)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow, thanks guys for all the helpful insights.  I think I have a pretty good idea of what to expect now.  Thanks again ya'll.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts