Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My good friends have a 8 year old chocolate lab.  Very sweet dog, great with kids and people, zero aggression.  Only real behavioral problems I've witnessed are the constant begging for food and barking at seemingly nothing.  That is until I started bringing my puppy over.  She's now bitten Oggie 3 different times.  The first 2 times were when she was given a treat, and Oggie apparently came in too close.  The second time she broke skin, he was bleeding on his lip.  A few weeks have gone by without any incidents until yesterday.  After several hours of playing together with no problems, the lab was just laying on the kitchen floor and apparently Oggie came in too close and she turned around and bit him on the forehead.  Blood everywhere.  He's ok I think, just a nick on his face.  My friends apologized but everyone else there was like "no big deal, thats how dogs are."

Should I stop bringing my dog over there or is this just inevitable when a puppy wants to constantly play with an older dog?  I like that he goes over there and meets lots of new people all the time at their parties and stuff, and their 3 year old daughter loves him and it's been great for socialization.  But now I'm concerned he's going to really get hurt.  Maybe I should wait until he's full grown and can take care of himself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would talk to yuour friend and see if their dog acts the same way around other dogs. I know its good to get our dogs socialized but i would not put mine in harms way cause if he gets really hurt then its your bill you have to foot. And i do not agree with thats the way dogs are. If thats what they think that i guess its okay to let pitbulls fight and bite, they are clueless people. Best of luck to you.

G

·
0 Posts
I know that when dogs are first getting used to each other...there can be dominance shows of aggression...is this what is going on'?  Is this dog aggressive with people when it comes to food, or just with Oggie?  I would keep Oggie away from her if she is eating/getting a treat...or if she looks tired..  I know when I take Jetta to my mom's house...we have an almost 8 year old german shepard/golden retriever/sheltie mix who loves to play with her..but when he is tired and has had enough will snap at her to tell her to stop...Just monitor them, keep Oggie away from the times that have caused trouble...and if you are not comfortable with taking her there, then stop.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah thats a good point, I think the lab was just tired of Oggie.  He does have a knack of annoying other dogs because he follows them around, barks at them, jumps all over them.  Most dogs are ok because they are calm enough to know he's just being a puppy.   I don't know if their dog has snapped at other dogs, I've never seen or heard anything like that.  She probably doesn't play with too many other dogs anyway, she doesn't get out much.

I have been keeping Oggie away from her when she's eating, I figured that would solve it.  But when we're all sitting in the kitchen and it still happens right in front of us, it's pretty crazy.  But maybe I should just separate them after a while once the lab has had enough.  I'm looking forward to him being full grown and then we'll see if she snaps at him!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I am by no means an expert, but I would be concerned about the situation.  If he snaps at dogs when he is tired and is not corrected, my feeling are that he could do the same to a small child if they annoyed him when he was tired or eating.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I'm no expert so this is just my experience:   Lola plays with my cousin's pit bull who's 1 1/2, he can keep up with her pretty good they'll run at the park for hours, but when he's had enough he's had enough.  He'll jump up on the couch to get away from her or sit on someone's lap....if she gets near him he'll put his paw on her and push her like "go away".  He's never snapped, bit or barked at her though.  
Then there's my friends 5 year old lab, she'll play with Lola, but she tires quickly so when she's done and Lola still tries to play the lab will growl, bark, show teeth, etc.  She's never bit her though....when she shows those signs we know enough is enough and we'll give Lola bone and the lab will chill out on the couch with her owner to separate them.    

So I don't know if your friends lab is just tired and wants Oggie away....or if there is an aggression issue.  I don't think that is how dogs play though.  Good luck!  Hope Oggie is okay!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would watchh the body language of the lab very exact if you visit them again.
Perhaps there were some hints in his body language that he had enough of your
puppy.
I personally interfere in these situation, helping the dog who
has enouth of the young dog and avoid that there comes a confrontation.

And I think especially older labs sometimes become a bit strange.
The only dog who has bitten Gero was an older lab too.
Gero has never had an confrontation with another dog with flooding blood
except for this lab.
He is 9 years old and he wanted Gero not to play with Gero

1 - 7 of 7 Posts