Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Gus has finally did it !! Into the water up to his belly all by himself... Chasing a frog and then thinking he was aqua-dog and trying to breath underwater... what a hoot sticking his face underwater up to his eyes and trying to sniff out the frog.
But now he is chasing birds (kildeer or anything on the ground ) I thought he was a working dog not a bird dog ..lol
He will be 4 months on the 11th and growing like a weed. I am still trying to pack up the house for our move at the end of the month and between the dogs and packing I am plum wore out !!!!!!
It is fun to see everyone here and all the things that happen with your boxers and I am seeing all of it in Gus too.... Its easier now , not so many surprizes and WE ARE 95% HOUSE BROKE..... WAAHHH HOOOOOOO
Everyone have a great weekend.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Great story, I loved it..And I can just picture Gus in the water, face down trying to find that frog..... :) Boxers are working dogs, but I think that someone forgot to tell them that.....Good luck with the move by the way..Moving sucks, huh?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Haha...I can imagine him going after the frog. I think some time way back when, someone told the boxers they were hunters. The other day I opened the back door to let Xena out and she bolted out the door like a flash of lightning, ran over to the fence and jumped about 6ft in the air. Then I heard her struggling with some sort of animal...we have cats that hang out outside but they usually hiss once and she runs as if it were a lion. I'm guessing it was a raccoon.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
OMG I can just picture that lol I have plenty of pictures of Roxy frog hunting!!!!!! I just wanted to add that some toads can be toxic to animals so just watch him close just in case he really does get one of those darn frogs! There was a sticky on BoxerPals about toad toxins maybe Sampsonsmom can get it and post it on here cause for some reason Im having a hard time getting back on the site!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yeah there's a frog called a bufu frog. When my mom was younger she had a beagle that got a hold of one of these. Shortly after he started foaming at the mouth and walking backwards...so you do have to be careful.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The line Boxers were originally bred from was to be hunters.  They used them to hunt wild boars, bulls and bear.  The were called bullbaiters.  They were hunted in packs and would latch onto the animals until the hunters could come and kill them.  I have found that my dogs still have some of the hunting "hardwired" into them.  So it is not unusual to have them want to "get" things.

We once had a woodchuck borrowing around in our horse arena.  My dogs were always in constant pursuit of the varmint.  One day, the male, finally cornered him in the building.  He rushed up and grabbed the big thing by the neck and flung him up in the air about 15 feet high.  The woodchuck feel to the ground dead as a doornail.  My male walked over and lifted his leg and peed on him.  The two female dogs watched from a distance barking to let us know all about it.  Woodchucks have these huge claws and can be quite mean, so I wouldn't recommend encouraging woodchuck hunting.

Nano

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol, Nano, I will remember to discourage the woodchuck hunting without a doubt..Now I have to take a look and see what they look like! OK, I'm a city girl, I wouldn't know a woodchuck if it walked in front of me.... :) Had no idea that they could be so dangerous tho...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I am glad we don't have woodchucks here in Texas , but, we are moving to Georgia soon and there will probably be different rodents there to contend with.lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts