Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I've sort of narrowed it down to 2 foods for out upcoming boy at the end of October (We are thinking with of going with either the Fromm Heartland Gold grain free, or Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream.) He will be 8 weeks when we pick him up and is 3/4 Euro.

Last night we visited a nice little pet boutique store near our house that carries very good foods (Fromm, Fromm grain free, Whole Earth Farms, Taste of the Wild, and Merrick.) Her prices are pretty close to Chewy.com, and is very close to our home.

After looking at the foods, it seems that these brands are extremely popular among y'all here on the forum.

I've read that our pups need to be on a large breed puppy food, as their calcium intake doesn't need to be too high. Is this correct? With that being said, which food would be better for our pup, as the Fromm Heartland Gold Grain Free isn't specified as a large breed food?

Any experience with these two foods? Seems to be that TOTW Pacific Stream is pretty popular on here, but some have loose stool problems with it?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I would go with Fromm. They have excellent kibble and don't have a history of recalls.

Another brand to look into would be Acana.

Best to go on a large breed puppy food so that they don't grow too fast and put unnecessary strain on their growing joints.

Fromm has Heartland Gold Large Breed Puppy Food: Fromm Gold Life-stage and Lifestyle Dry Recipes - Fromm Family Foods

Taste of the Wild has had too many recalls. Personally, I don't trust their products.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would go with Fromm. They have excellent kibble and don't have a history of recalls.

Another brand to look into would be Acana.

Best to go on a large breed puppy food so that they don't grow too fast and put unnecessary strain on their growing joints.

Fromm has Heartland Gold Large Breed Puppy Food: Fromm Gold Life-stage and Lifestyle Dry Recipes - Fromm Family Foods

Taste of the Wild has had too many recalls. Personally, I don't trust their products.

Thanks, we were leaning towards the heartland, but didn't know they actually have a large breed formula that's grain free. I will see if this boutique can actually get that in stock. If not, I will have to order it offline which may become annoying for food.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I guess I'd call Fromm's Customer Service to get an answer. Looks like the Heartland Puppy has 31.29% protein using DM calculation. The Heartland Large Puppy showed a 29.89% protein level. Not to mention two other puppy food choices!! The amount of fat also varies. They'll give you good advice, and probably let you know what to look for if it doesn't agree. My vet feels that Boxer have "special" stomach issues, and steered me toward foods that were not too high in fat. Can't wait to meet your puppy.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Love Fromm! I was hesitant to try it for the longest time since my Bella is allergic to something, which I'm still not sure what, and the Fromm formulas aren't limited ingredient. I decided to just try it though and so far after a few weeks it's been the best food Bella's been on. Never tried their puppy formulas, but I don't doubt that they would be just as excellent. The company has a great reputation and it is produced right in Wisconsin not too far from where I live.

I also believe all of their formulas are formulated for all life stages, so you could look into their other options as well and see if they have what you're looking for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts