Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my Bella is finally changing from puppy to adult food. She has been on Fromm puppy gold. My question is, should I change her to Fromm adult gold or adult gold large breed? She is around #53 pounds.
Thanks for any input you guys have.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I'd probably just go with the adult gold, Boxers are not really considered a large breed. But thats just my opinion. I don't feed Fromm though. My boxer was raised on royal cain boxer puppy till 5 months and then switched to Victor select, high energy which we still feed today. My poodle was raised on Fromm gold puppy but now because of convenience is also on Victor. Fromm is pricey for my budget too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hello.

I do feed Fromm but not the gold varieties. I was feeding more grain free in the four star varieties. However, with DVM, I limit the grain free and ones with a lot of peas. With the four star, you can switch between them without having to gradually switch to avoid GI issues

If Emmett eats something he should not have and gets sick, he will refuse the current kibble. We have been on several foods I his 2.5 years. But - with Fromms variety - I can switch to a different flavor in a small bag for a week or so and then back to the food he is protesting against. The things we do to keep them happy. Here is my guy giving me his famous dirty look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
We used the Fromm Gold reduced activity for several years. That was for an 8-year old with kind of a sensitive stomach. A couple times a month he would vomit up large piles of the kibble. Its almost like it sat in his stomach for awhile. There was mucous in it. We switched over the PPP Bright Minds. He stopped vomiting up kibble for some reason with the new food. Maybe the Fromm was not as digestible to him as the PPP.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Correction - the name of this harness is True Love Reflective Harness. Below is how it is listed son Chewy.com

Yes. His harness works well. To keep from pulling there is a front chest hook. There is also a top hook. It is reflective as well. Chai’s Choice reflective harness. It’s easy on and off. I found it at Chewy.com.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Lisark, Emmett is a handsome dog, I like his harness. Does it work well? limit pulling?

Thank you for the complement. I hope you find a harness. I know many like the Gentle Leader but with the boxer snout I could not get one fitted properly. He has worn this style since he was about four months old.

The only issue I have ever had is that on the front harness - he was on a tie down while camping and he managed to slink out of it. He can slip a collar like nobody’s business too. Stinker.

It is very adjustable but he was in an odd growth phase and very slim at the waist. Now that he has filled out that is not as much of a concern.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had recently asked this to my next door neighbor, who is also our Veterinarian the same question. Our previous female was really good about taking smaller bites and chewing, which is in stark contrast to our current male whom takes much larger bites resulting in food ending up all over the floor as it would either lodge in his gums and/or just fall out of his mouth when he lifted his head or took a drink of water. He wouldn't properly chew it either, which on occasion would cause him to throw up. She actaully talked about a boxer "breed specific" dry dog food (cant recall the name, if you would like I can find out though) that shaped their kibble in such a way to promote proper chewing, and ultimately better digestion for Boxers. We didnt actually buy that kibble as the ingredients weren't as premium as the price. We instead found a grain free kibble with smaller, puppy sized bits, and having 30% or more animal based protein content mixed with just enough high quality wet food or thawed meat to make the kibble slightly wet and sticky. This has been our saving grace since confronted with the puppy/adult changeover. Note* our Murphy is an extremely large boxer weighing between 84-91 lbs depending on when I visit the vet's scale, and very active in helping me on weekly during the winters and summers and daily during the fall to pull logged filled carts up to the cabin throughout the year. So high protein is a must for him.

*Dont worry folks, he definitely likes doing it much more than his owner, and makes sure to drop his harness in my lap if I forget, or simply can't muster my own motivation.

Anyways, maybe your food journey wont be as difficult as ours, but if it is I hope this helps.. it has definitely worked for Murphy.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts